Upgrade iMac 333 to OS X?

S

syc007

Is it possible to upgrade an iMac 333 to OS X? I currently have one with only 96 MB of Ram. How much ram would I need? What is the Max Ram this Apple will take? How much is the ram and where can I look to buy it?

OP
C

Chamorro

syc007 said:
Is it possible to upgrade an iMac 333 to OS X? I currently have one with only 96 MB of Ram. How much ram would I need? What is the Max Ram this Apple will take? How much is the ram and where can I look to buy it?

1 - Yes, it's possible.

2 - Apple sez min. RAM is 128....I'd recommend at least 256, and ideally 512mb.

3 - It'll max out @ 512

4 - Check out MacMall, OWC; possibly at Amazon or Buy.com; and you could even search on eBay under iMac G3 RAM.

Prices vary, but don't go too cheap w/ RAM.

Reaction score
I'm running OSX 10.3.2 on a 333 with 512meg memory and a 40 gig drive. Boots almost as fast as OS9 and seldom crashes. MAX OUT that memory! or it will run very slow.

OP
W

woopud

I'm running OS X 10.2 on a 233 with 96 mb of ram, yes it's slow but never freezes or crashes.

Bert

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
woopud said:
I'm running OS X 10.2 on a 233 with 96 mb of ram, yes it's slow but never freezes or crashes.

Bert
That is so impressive! No doubt cranking that virtual memory alot, but hey, if that that works why not!
:cool:

OP
T

thewanderer

Again Make Sure The Firmwear Is Update Or You Will Screw Up The Video Card On The Imac

OP
D

dmroper

I know there are probably threads right in front of me about this, but- Haven't found one just yet..

Just curious (WELL, not just curious- I've got an imac 350 that may have been messed up)- What if someone tried to upgrade to OSX without first updating the firmware?

What happened was.. Someone at work wanted to upgrade our imac 350 to OSX. Memory was only 64MB, so I cautioned against it.. Of course, my not being the mac expert disqualifies my opinion entirely (though I am CCNP, MSCE, MSCA, A+, Network+, blah blah blah).. Turns out, halfway through the install, screen went to a dark dark blue, hardly visible, but visible still nonetheless. Now, it chimes on boot, then appears to just doing anything alltogether (light eventually turns green, etc). No grey screen when powered on, etc.- Screen=blank. Nothing happens when I try to force a boot from cd, holding that command key and c or whatever down- nothing. Of course, can't boot from osx cd, and I'm still waiting for those os9 discs that I ordered.

I do have three other imacs, three 333 imacs, running 9.2. I've heard bits and pieces about fixes having to do with removing the hard drives, yada yada yada, but I know so little about macs that I am hesitant to try anything.

Any ideas regarding what I could try?

Also, any friendly help trying to find some threads dealing with this issue would be greatly appreciated..

I'm lost here in mac-world, though I am learning a lot as I go. I keep buying these old 333 imacs from a local school district liquidating their old machines because they're way cooler than the first (and last) mac I ever used- a mac 128 way back in the day.. My 5 year old loves them and I'm consideringmoving over to one of them permanently for my midi projects.

THanks again,

Dave

OP
D

dragonhost2000

When I put OS X on my iMac, I formatted everything and uploaded on OS X not bothering with OS 9.2 since not much supports it any more except for the old stuff.

Unlike Windows, OS X and OS 9 are completely different systems. Even though OS X may run rather slow, the stability and updates out weight the speed. Update to OS X otherwise you been left behind like I was.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.