Parallels vs BootCamp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15" 2.33ghz
I'm getting a little confused between what I read here and in books and software information.
Do you have to install BootCamp ? or can you just install Parallels and use that with WIN XP.
Reading indicates that Parallels will work without BootCamp installed is that correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
you can use one, or the other. or both.

BootCamp will let you boot into either OSX, or Windows

Paralles will let you do as it's name indicates, run Windows in Parallel with OSX. (within OSX)

And you can use them together, to both have it bootable and use it in parallel; but they will work independently also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Does running XP via Parallels affect the performance much?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
yes, because then the two OS have to share your system Ram And processor. If you want to do stuff in windows that requires alot of memory, use boot camp, if you want it just to run a few smaller programs that arnt memerory intensive then parallels will do just fine.

Reaction score
I'm getting a little confused between what I read here and in books and software information.
Do you have to install BootCamp ? or can you just install Parallels and use that with WIN XP.
Reading indicates that Parallels will work without BootCamp installed is that correct?

Yes, Parallels will work without BootCamp. And BootCamp will work without Paralles, or with the newer version of Parallels, you can use both together if you wish.

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to run pc games, then you will want to use Bootcamp because you will be booting windows just like your a pc and games will work for you. Parallels will not run most windows games, or at least i haven't been able to get it to work yet. Could be that I am just not doing it right. I have tried Medal Of Honor, Call Of Duty, Battlefield 1942. Brothers In Arms...

However, if you are mostly running programs, Parallels will run most windows programs quite well and you have the advantage of switching back and forth from windows to OSX.

I find on my Mac Pro using Parallels that it actually seems to run windows and windows programs a little bit faster than they do on my pc with an Amd 64 processor.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15" 2.33ghz
Thanks for your replies

Since I am only interested in running 1-Genealogy program and 1- Cemetery database program and I would be regularly updating those two databases from my other PC and Win laptop I expect that Parallels alone will better meet my needs. I have no other WIN requirements for my new Macbook Pro. There are no equivalent professional grade MAC programs available.
Thanks for your information
Wayne:dive:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
What genealogy program do you use, and what are your requirements? I didn't know there were "professional" genealogist other than maybe retired mormons.

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15" 2.33ghz
TMG The Master Genealogists ver 6.12

I use this program because of its extensive ability in documenting sources etc. I have over 25 years of research on 11,900 family members from 1675-today already researched and documented. Since I am in the middle of editing a Family Genealogy for publication I won't switch to the (2) only Genealogy programs for MAC, which fail to support extensive documentation and exyensively configurable reporting options.
Both MAC native programs including Reunion which I purchased with my Macbook Pro are not family centered programs but are focussed on individuals
which defeats the entire purpose of documenting a Genealogy of a family.
Additionally I share / exchange data with a network of researchers who all share this program.
GEDCOM information between differing Genealogy programs fails to transmit all data from program to program. I realize this is a problem with individual programers interpretation of the GEDCOM standard but
that is why I switched to a Macbook so that I could retain these 2 powerful Genealogy tools necessary for my continued research. I have tried all other WIN/MAC Genealogy programs. In fact at last check I had 6 different Genealogy programs on both my WIN based computers. I use them to share data with other users, and to prevent bad data from entering my extensive databases. A real problem with the proliferation of online Genealogy data.
The LDS Church are a great resource, but far from the only Genealogists in the U.S. or World for that matter. Last time I checked the web Genealogy was the number #1 hit for webpages.
Wayne

OP
W
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro 15" 2.33ghz
why was this thread removed?

Moved

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.