Help making music...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
My GF surprised me yesterday with a fantastic early xmas present...

She got me an M-Audio USB/Midi 49-Key Keyboard :)

I've got a Macbook with Garageband (latest version) and the Keyboard comes with Ableton Live Lite 5.

I want to try my hand at making hip hop and drum & bass beats/basslines... I haven't got a clue where to start though.

Anyone got any pointers or links to tutorials or anything?

Do I need more software?

Help Please :D

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
I got an m-audio 61key keyboard today. I have a macbook as well. I installed and fiddled a bit with live and I really prefer garageband. It is much simpler and more intuitive to use. Just add a new software instrument and start recording with your keyboard. You can change your instrument before or after you record. Just mess around with the garageband interface and you're bound to figure something cool out.

Have fun!

Reaction score
Hey - I got the same M-Audio 49e keystation for Christmas! If you want to use Live Lite, you can upgrade to the newest version for free... but I've had fun just using Garageband since it is so easy. You can use the drum loops and alter them to your liking or, like Arichards said, just choose your instrument (double click on the keyboard symbol in the first track to open up your instrument options) and record something from scratch! There are a lot of instruments/sounds to choose from. Have fun!

Reaction score
The Ableton software itself may have a tutorial, I have used Live on occasion and when I first opened the program it prompted me to run through a tutorial right in the program. Check the files that got installed with Live, and see if there is a tutorial included; or, check to see if Live has a help menu that could direct you to the tutorial.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
Thanks everyone :)

I'll post a link to my first tune when I'm happy with it :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.83 Ghz 17" iMac Core 2 Duo, 13" Macbook 2.16 Ghz, 17" Macbook Pro 2.66 GHZ
Thanks everyone :)

I'll post a link to my first tune when I'm happy with it :)

There are a couple of great site out there to give you some info, a place to post your music, etc. Personally, www.macjams.com is my favourite. I've been a member there since I picked up my iMac and started using GarageBand a couple of months ago and I've found everyone there to be VERY helpful.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Try learning some music theory too, though. I know it sounds a bit out of the way, but you can tell someone apart from another person by their garageband tracks, whether they know anything about music basically.

I'd learn about scales and how you can put them to use for different moods, and how it's applied on a piano or keyboard.
Or you could just drag around Garageband loops and see what happens.

M

MacHeadCase

I love your tune, MrJoshua! I would say you got the hang of GarageBand very quickly. *Thumbsup*

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
The drumbeat does nothing for it, however i really like the background tune, very atmospheric.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.