Running Application from External HDD

Reaction score
Hi all,

First I would like to apologize for creating this thread when I can see 3 threads are already open on same topic. (I am looking for brief answers.)

I have read couple of post regarding External HDD for Mac OS X with windows compatibility.
I have iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4.8 PowerPC.

I have few questions on Ext.(External) HDD like,

1) Will 250 GB Seagate HDD supports my iBook G4 Specs? ( I mean what's the maximum size that supports for external HDD.)

2) I am planning to use this HDD only for iBook G4, so do I need to format it in HFS+ format at the first time?

3) I always keep trying new softwares and applications and if i don't like I trash them. So just like in windows we have an option as "Defragmentation" do we need or have such thing for Mac OS X?

4) Can I also run any application or softwares from external hdd as the default HDD on laptop does from application folder? Coz for few programs i want to keep it in Ext. HDD and run from there? (Please guide me how to do this if there is a possibilty.)

5) If I use external HDD for all the above said task will it be good to use it with Firewire or USB ?

Please brief the answers as it needs to be decided.

Thanks in advance & Regards,

Mohammed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Hi all,

First I would like to apologize for creating this thread when I can see 3 threads are already open on same topic. (I am looking for brief answers.)

I have read couple of post regarding External HDD for Mac OS X with windows compatibility.
I have iBook G4, 1.33Ghz, 1GB RAM, 40 GB HDD, Mac OS X 10.4.8 PowerPC.

I have few questions on Ext.(External) HDD like,

1) Will 250 GB Seagate HDD supports my iBook G4 Specs? ( I mean what's the maximum size that supports for external HDD.)

2) I am planning to use this HDD only for iBook G4, so do I need to format it in HFS+ format at the first time?

3) I always keep trying new softwares and applications and if i don't like I trash them. So just like in windows we have an option as "Defragmentation" do we need or have such thing for Mac OS X?

4) Can I also run any application or softwares from external hdd as the default HDD on laptop does from application folder? Coz for few programs i want to keep it in Ext. HDD and run from there? (Please guide me how to do this if there is a possibilty.)

5) If I use external HDD for all the above said task will it be good to use it with Firewire or USB ?

Please brief the answers as it needs to be decided.

Thanks in advance & Regards,

Mohammed.

1) with FW 400 the external should be fine, there are no limitations that I've seen with this computer

2)No issues

3)OSX "defrags" files under 20Mb automatically, but defragging is a Windows thing, unnecessary in OSX.

4)Most apps want to install on the drive that has OSX natively installed. You can always reference files on the external without the app physically being on there.

5) Firewire is shown (and I have seen it) to deliver better constant transfer than USB. USB 2.0 for instance claims 480Mbps over FW400 but only on peaks, its not constant. For external I would use FW. I would use Fw 800 but the iBook doesn't support it - its a pro machine thing, typically for video where constant rate is a must. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I'll add that it's kindof a misnomer that defrag is unnecessary. It's just not as important, and less likely to be needed. And defraging has little to do with cleaning, and more to do with organizing/aranging data.

And most apps, are entirely self contained, and doesn't matter where you put them. I run several from an external.

Use FireWire, Higher speeds, and it is daisychainable, so you do not need a hub.

And use HFS+, it offers security, speed, an journaling. FAT doesn't. And now there are programs that will make windows read HFS anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.