• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

mac-like behavior found in other places...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Powerbook, lol. OK, I stand corrected. I can't believe you found all that out to be honest!

my friends have alot of cars lol...

you know.. thinking about innovation and mac like things... my watch is kinda mac-like... its a citizen eco-drive (got it as a gift).. runs on solar power, and has all the time zones in the world one button to chose the time zone and then hit both buttons at the same time and it changes to the correct time zone... its pretty neat.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, it was just supposed to be fun. find something different that "just works" just like a mac.

(the side discussion about car lights was an unfortunate incident)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Actually, I think the side discussion about the car lights was interesting. It illuminated (no pun intended) what people think "Mac-Like" behavior is when it comes to another product. I found it rather helpful to the course of this thread.

I would further like to ask you all what attributes you would cite when describing "Mac-Like" behavior. Is it Ease of use? Style? Design? A combination of them? Is it something new and different, something out of the ordinary, something odd in a good way?

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
good question baggss!
well, mac-like could be decided by any one of us. and may be interpreted a bit differently depending on a number of criteria, probably most predominant would be whether you're a recent switcher (as i am) or someone who's lived and breathed macs for years (as many of you are).

i do think design is a factor here. maybe as much as function. though design is or may be more of a taste issue. in any case, it's partially about the cliched "thinking outside the box" and equally as much does that latteral thinking result in clever workable alternatives to standard answers to every day questions/problems/tasks?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Ok, your thinking along the same lines as I am eric. Anyone else?

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
AHA! pbg4 - are you talking about drls (daytime running lights)? if so, i meant real lights, the full compliment, all parking lights and normal headlights (not low power or high beams typically used as drl).
if it's not that, still waiting on the other answer for "auto on when dark and/or delay shut off".

i'm guessing that the type of upscale car most of your exaples are, that they have both of these, not the type i'm describing in the subaru which would be far too 'crude' for cars such as bimmers and mercs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
Ok, your thinking along the same lines as I am eric. Anyone else?

I agree, I was thinking along the lines of easability, anything that helps me do what I need to do in every day life, but also in style. Like a burger injected with cheese.

Bizarre analogy I know, but I havent eaten in a while.

God I want that burger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
My VW has cobalt blue dash lights... the same color as the Apple in OSX... :D

My HP printer is very Mac-like. Connects in multiple ways to the network, works with whatever IP address it gets without having to change anything, has functional on-screen controls, auto-senses document size and matches to optimal resolution when scanning, etc.

My iPod is very Mac-like <G>

My microwave is very Mac-like. Smart buttons, able to be set to different time values based on things you cook regularly. Ingenious!

That's all I've got for now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AHA! pbg4 - are you talking about drls (daytime running lights)? if so, i meant real lights, the full compliment, all parking lights and normal headlights (not low power or high beams typically used as drl).
if it's not that, still waiting on the other answer for "auto on when dark and/or delay shut off".

i'm guessing that the type of upscale car most of your exaples are, that they have both of these, not the type i'm describing in the subaru which would be far too 'crude' for cars such as bimmers and mercs.

ok... now i am even confused about the topic at hand, lol.

M

MacHeadCase

I got a glossy white halogen lamp on my computer desk beside my iMac G5 and they go together very well. Does that count? :mac:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if the light never fails you... then yes.

M

MacHeadCase

ROTFL

Gotcha!
icon10.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
mine simply turn off when you turn off the car. period. simple.
!

Much better to have the headlights stay on for ~60 seconds. Gives you enough light to walk to your door safely, find the right keys, and unlock the door before you get stuck in the dark fumbling.

The lights-off-with-ignition approach sounds like a cost cutting move. Save sixty cents by replacing the timer with a switch. My bet is that Subaru will upgrade their headlights to a timer soon, now that Toyota has taken over from GM.

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
toyota bought gm's stake in subaru or did toyota buy subaru in it's entirety from fuji heavy industries?

i hadn't heard any of that. i'll have to check.

if toyota treats subaru anything like gm did, all they'll do is use their existing platforms (ala the saab 9-3).

not sure the delay is really that useful. i didn't find it so when i had a cadillac eldorado. really, how often, or how many people are going to always have the car parked outside and nose towards their front door?

found the info:
(from autoblog.com)

Toyota Motor will buy an 8.7 percent position in Fuji Heavy Industries, parent company of Subaru, from General Motors. GM, which currently owns 20 percent of Fuji, will sell its remaining 11.4 percent stake into a Fuji open-market share buy-back program, completely liquidating its position in Fuji by the end of the week.

so toyota will have even less "say" than gm had... excellent!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
here, check this out...
http://cartalk.com/board/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=375956
it seems to have confused even some real car guys! (i'm subaruissimo on cartalk)

lol i see how you talk to me about the only cars i know are expensive ones (I have had 3 cars even though I am 18.. I crashed the first one... second my parents got me to replace the first and the last one i got on my own (working for it) but some of my friend are older and i have been in / driven all of them. .. but reading your post on their forums made me understand it better... all the cars I have ever been in / drivin (excluding the mustang) has a delay... i got confused. (as in car goes off, you walk to your door, put the key go into your house, lights go off, on most cars if you hit the lock then the lights go off) so now that we have that settled, i was confused.. your car has a pretty cool feature.. although I like the option for delay... I need sleep its 2:30 in the morning and I have been up since early yesterday morning!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.