cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
This is a wild guess, m'kay?
icon12.gif

But... In the menubar, under the Apple (upper left hand corner) ---> About This Mac. In the window that appears you click on More Info.... In that window, there is a left column which has a section on Hardware, Network, Software in which you will find Logs. Click on Logs once and a pane will appear on the right with a list of logs, including one called install.log. Click on it and below it will reveal plenty of info.

Would that be what you are looking for?

Thanks, yep - that was what I was looking for, unfortunately it doesn't detail the destination paths, only the filenames is was copying. Ugh...

I wish Spotlight was a little more comprehensive. It seems to ignore hidden/system directories and only really search within the user's home directory. Is there a "real" search utility that will actually dig into the depths of all the directories? I'll betcha I could have this sorted out in a few minutes with the right tools/search keywords.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks, yep - that was what I was looking for, unfortunately it doesn't detail the destination paths, only the filenames is was copying. Ugh...

I wish Spotlight was a little more comprehensive. It seems to ignore hidden/system directories and only really search within the user's home directory. Is there a "real" search utility that will actually dig into the depths of all the directories? I'll betcha I could have this sorted out in a few minutes with the right tools/search keywords.

I know that you can use TextWrangler to open hidden files...

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know that you can use TextWrangler to open hidden files...

Thanks, EasyFind was exactly what I was looking for. I just can't believe OS X doesn't have a similar utility built into it. Spotlight is great for the casual user, but when you're looking for a specific file (not necessarily a document), there is no built-in tool that I'm aware of that will actually dredge through the entire disk looking for it. That seems like a major oversight to me. I can't imagine using a Windows machine that just had Google's Desktop Search and nothing else. Maybe the problem is just that I still have that sysadmin mindset that I want to have total control over my file structure. That seems like an OS essential to me.

On a positive note, this problem that I'm having with getting a networked printer installed has taught me a TON about OS X. I've learned a lot about file/folder structure and don't feel so lost. This kind of learning experience has accomplished exactly what I was hoping for in switching over to Mac, I'm learning new things and don't feel stagnant as I did before.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thoughts on the Mac after a week...

Well, it's been a full week since I first took delivery of my MacBook Pro and as I promised, I thought I'd share my thoughts on it.

First off, let me say that I've never been so please with a home computer purchase. The MacBook Pro and OS X totally live up to my expectations, especially now that I've learned all the basics and keyboard shortcuts. That said, I'll go into detail on both the good and the bad now that I've had some time to digest everything.

Since the bad is so insignificant, I'll start with that. On the hardware side, the MacBook Pro is a very cosmetically pleasing design. Weight is comparable to my ultra-portable Inspiron 700m (with the extended life battery), while still affording a huge screen. But my biggest qualm from a hardware standpoint is the lack of indicator and status lights. I didn't notice it at first, but there is a "sleep" indicator on the front of the machine. Other than that, there's no power-on indicator, hard disk activity light or link lights for the Ethernet card. All of these are critical for any machine - you may think a power light is insignificant, but you won't feel that way if your display ever goes bad. It's also handy to know when your disk is active, this can be worked around with software, but I'd rather have a light. The omission of link light indicators is simply inexcusable for a "professional-class" notebook like the Pro series is supposed to be. Try troubleshooting a network connectivity problem in a corporate setting without them - it's a real PITA. This seems to be a trend among some manufacturers and I wish they'd quit. I also hate the relatively sharp edge that your palms/wrists tend to rest on when you're using the touchpad and sometimes when typing. Had they tapered this edge a bit, the machine would be a lot more comfortable to type on.

On the software side, my biggest gripes as just two – Spotlight needs an “advanced” mode that will query every single file on the disk, rather than just do a basic desktop search (i.e. Search the index it generates). It's amazing how fast it produces results, but one may be fooled into thinking those results are comprehensive, they are not – in most cases, Spotlight neglects any files stored in System folders or operating system files that are hidden. In my honest opinion, not having a file search utility that is capable of dredging the entire disk is a major oversight and needs attention. At least give the results listing an “advanced” or “search for more” option. My other niggle is with the way OS X handles print drivers – or better stated, completely neglects print drivers and ports. Apple includes CUPS drivers that are carried over from the *NIX operating systems, but leaves entirely too much of the functionality to the drivers. IMO, Windows handles print drivers/connectivity much better. If you're lucky enough to find a driver from your printer's manufacturer that allows for non-standard interfaces (i.e. External print servers), you'll likely never notice the difference, but if not, you're stuck using the CUPS drivers – and if one isn't included for your printer, you're pretty much SOL. Again, there's workarounds and if you're just going to use a USB or IEEE-1284 interface, it's not a big deal. To be fair, Apple does offer the AirPort Extreme with a USB to network interface that might have worked in my situation, but I have no other compelling reason to switch wireless routers and this would be a waste of money for what is not a “must have”. Even still, I hope that Apple addresses the printer port handling APIs in a future release. This will eventually bite them – particularly in the corporate world, if they ever do make significant in-roads into that market.

But none of those things are show-stoppers, in fact, the good aspects of the design and the software FAR outweigh the negative aspects. Of course, every machine has its ergonomic quirks and getting used to them is very similar to getting used to a new car - it's just different and you have to give it time, eventually, it grows on you.

OS X is a dream to use compared to Windows. Those of you that are considering switching because you're bothered by Windows would be remiss not to give it serious thought. Although you can still run Windows apps via VM or Bootcamp, I haven't encountered a Windows app that I miss. It took me awhile to find something that checks Webmail accounts, but I found FreePOPs and in many respects, I like it better than POPpeeper on Windows. What OS X really has going for it is its user interface. It's quick, it's not bloated and it's rock-solid stable. True to the marketing, this machine “just works”. Although I've run into a few situations where I needed to troubleshoot an OS problem, most of these were simply due to my inexperience with the OS. Truely, Apple did a lot of things right with OS X and it deserves all the praise that the industry has heaped upon it.

Everytime I sit down in front of my MacBook Pro, I just feel giddy. I feel like I have a super-computer on my lap – that's how much more responsive it is than even a high-end Windows machine. And as the days go by, and I learn the shortcuts and features I've missed, I feel even more excited about it. Just about every goal and expectation I had going over to Mac has been met and I feel enthusiastic about computing once again. There's just something about OS X that is addicting and I find myself just toying around with applications just for the sake of having more keyboard time.

EDIT: Two other points I meant to cover here - I love the iSight camera. This is one of those things I never thought I'd value until I actually started using it. It's so sweet to be able to snap a quick picture for a project without having to dig out the digital camera. I haven't used it for video conferencing yet, but it's a compelling feature that I can't wait to try. I also love the illuminated keyboard and function keys that always work how they should (<sarcasm>unlike on Windows keyboards where they only work when the moon is in the right position in the sky on the third Sunday of the month</sarcasm>). Oh, and did I mention the boot time? This thing only takes 15 seconds to go from powered on, to FULLY booted up and ready to use. I somehow doubt that even with the new caching features in Vista that take advantage of on-board flash on the hard disk, it will ever be able to match the Mac. It's truly AMAZING.

I've thought about it long and hard, but I can't put into words how truly wonderful these machines are. The accompanying applications are refined and well-made. The user interface has a fluidness and integration that is simply not found elsewhere. To sum it up, despite it's few deficiencies, I couldn't be much happier with my decision.

My thanks go out to those of you that have helped me along the way. I wouldn't call myself an “expert” by any means, but I've learned enough to be proficient in just this short time and that is very telling of the overall greatness of OS X.

M

MacHeadCase

Thanks, EasyFind was exactly what I was looking for. I just can't believe OS X doesn't have a similar utility built into it. *Snip*

I know that through Terminal you can find hidden files as well and that you can unhide them. Although to ma a no-no, 'cause it can cause some problems to files, simply removing the dot (".") before a file's name will make it visible and, reversely, adding a dot (".") in front of a file's name, will make it invisible.

I say that to me it is a no-no because it somehow changes the file's permissions and that brought me problems with an .htaccess file I was using on my blog. I clicked ok before even reading what TextWrangler gave me as a message. So what (or who) I was trying to block, opened the door instead.
icon11.gif

Little did I know I could do the edit directly without having to change the visibility of the file. DOH!

And I'm really happy you like your Mac, cwa107! It proves, for one thing, that you have an open mind.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quick question: Under Network System Preferences -> AirPort tab -> Options, what does "enable interface robustness" mean?

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, I guess I struck out on the last question. Another (this time easy) question.

When I'm editing a field, any field - let's say for example, the address bar in Firefox. In windows, I can hit the HOME key and go directly to the front of the field. If I hit the END key, it will go to the end of the text. In OS X those keys don't appear to do anything. Am I missing something? Is there a way to move the cursor to the front or end of the field without having to either continuously hit the cursor keys or mouse and click?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP C2D 1G 15"
I believe pressing and holding the command key (apple) while using the arrows will do what you want.

Reaction score
What mouse software did you get?

I can't share this information enough to people like you (i.e. MYSELF) who's steeped in everything Windows for the past few years, so i'll keep saying it -

Look around for third party software that will allow you to change the mouse acceleration curve to match that of you Windows machine, at least to start.

When I started test driving Mac's, the frustration of trying to control that mouse pointer was an absolute mess. Gave me a sore hand/wrist after a few minutes of use, and just wrecked my experience altogether. Still, I knew there was something that was drawing me to Macs..

So I got on Google and found out why. Downloaded a third-party mousing software, and everything was gold after that.

Because of work I still have to be in a Windows environment everyday. No sense "changing gears" everyday when there is a reasonable solution.

What software did you download to help your mouse? I have noticed the same sort of sluggish feel with my Mac vs. the PC... Thanks!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe pressing and holding the command key (apple) while using the arrows will do what you want.

Exactly. Thanks a lot!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To answer your "harder" question, the function of Interference Robustness is to allow your Airport to work through interference from nearby appliances, such as microwaves and cordless phones.

Apple's site provides a pretty similar answer

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To answer your "harder" question, the function of Interference Robustness is to allow your Airport to work through interference from nearby appliances, such as microwaves and cordless phones.

Apple's site provides a pretty similar answer

Thanks - I take it that feature is specific to the AirPort router? (I'm using the much maligned Linksys WRT54G - which incidently has served me well for the past two years). I was curious because I noticed shorter range on my MacBook Pro than on my Dell Inspiron 700m (Intel 2200 MiniPCI card) and was looking for a way to quell some of the rare, but occasional random disconnects.

Reaction score
There's a freeware app, Invisibles, available here that toggles invisible files to visible and back again.

And for what it's worth, with Firefox or SeaMonkey you can drag any non-startup disk or partition to an open browser window, which at the top reveals all the contents' pathways. You can click on any folder to open it to reveal the pathway of the folders within it.

This won't work with the entire startup disk, but it does with any folder within it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
From what I've been able to discern, most sources indicate that the Robustness feature only works with Airport routers as you must turn on that particular function within the base as well. People have tried with other routers, which is why they claim that it doesn't work. Apple doesn't specifically state this, but they're assuming you're using all Apple hardware unless otherwise indicated.

So short answer, yes, you need Airport to use it. That means it won't work with your Linksys router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 GHz 1 GB
In my honest opinion, not having a file search utility that is capable of dredging the entire disk is a major oversight and needs attention.

If you find yourself at a Mac with not third-party file search program installed, you can always use good old "locate" from the terminal. I don't know how often the database is updated, check out the cron scripts, but you can do "sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb" to force an update.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you find yourself at a Mac with not third-party file search program installed, you can always use good old "locate" from the terminal. I don't know how often the database is updated, check out the cron scripts, but you can do "sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb" to force an update.

Thanks for the tip!

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't share this information enough to people like you (i.e. MYSELF) who's steeped in everything Windows for the past few years, so i'll keep saying it -

Look around for third party software that will allow you to change the mouse acceleration curve to match that of you Windows machine, at least to start.

When I started test driving Mac's, the frustration of trying to control that mouse pointer was an absolute mess. Gave me a sore hand/wrist after a few minutes of use, and just wrecked my experience altogether. Still, I knew there was something that was drawing me to Macs..

So I got on Google and found out why. Downloaded a third-party mousing software, and everything was gold after that.

Because of work I still have to be in a Windows environment everyday. No sense "changing gears" everyday when there is a reasonable solution.

Wow, you are absolutely right about this. Today is the first time I've hooked up a USB mouse (I've been using the touchpad almost exclusively since I bought the machine) and man is the acceleration curve steep. It barely moves and then... WHAM... it's off and flying. I downloaded and purchased USB Overdrive, which solved my problem almost immediately once set correctly. I really wish more precise controls were included with the OS as that is ridiculous.

Reaction score
It barely moves and then... WHAM... it's off and flying. I downloaded and purchased USB Overdrive, which solved my problem almost immediately once set correctly. I really wish more precise controls were included with the OS as that is ridiculous.
This is interesting! I hadn't heard of this problem before it came up in this thread. I've used Macs for 20 years and Windows machines at work but never noticed it.

I'll keep it in mind now whenever the opportunity arises to "sell" Macintosh.

I remember that in the mists of the dim past there were discussions on Mac sites about the Windows pointer. One poster said it was as though it was always surprised when told to move. But that was with Windows 95 — maybe even 3.1.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is interesting! I hadn't heard of this problem before it came up in this thread. I've used Macs for 20 years and Windows machines at work but never noticed it.

I'll keep it in mind now whenever the opportunity arises to "sell" Macintosh.

I remember that in the mists of the dim past there were discussions on Mac sites about the Windows pointer. One poster said it was as though it was always surprised when told to move. But that was with Windows 95 — maybe even 3.1.

I can't put my finger on it - it wasn't an issue at all with the touchpad. But as soon as I switched to the mouse, something felt weird. When mousing slowly for precision, it felt really, really slow - and then as I started to compensate for that, it started flying. If you Google the terms "mouse", "Mac", "acceleration" and "curve", you'll see we're not the only ones.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.