Help with upgrading from 500 to 800 ibook

S

samuelsmith3

Simple question but would like help with answer....
I'm buying a new 800 ibook to replace my 10gig 500 ibook. What is the best (and cheapest) way to back up my Itunes and Outlook Exrpress data before transfering it onto my new machine.
I have to back it up first I guess since I am trading in my current machine so won't have them both at the same time...
Also, since my current Ibook is in OS9 and new Ibook will be OSX I don't know if that complicates the process ie will new Itunes recognise old MP3 files...
If someone could talk me through the process, specificially the email and Itunes data that would be great!

thanks in advance
Sam
UK

OP
C

Chamorro

Are you buying from a store, or off the web? If it's a store, ask if they'll transfer stuff for you.

Do you have an iPod or another external HD? That would be the easiest. If not, try putting your files on CD's.

The new iTunes will work w/ your old mp3's. I'm not 100% sure, but your music files will be located on the HD>Users>YourName>Music>iTunes path. You could also check your Preferences in iTunes (this will tell you where your music library is) or search your HD for the folder called iTunes Music.

I had a link to some Outlook tutorials, but it's on my home computer. Look for the Microsoft User Data folder; that's where all your current info and messages are kept. They are separated according to the identity(ies) you're using. You can copy the entire folder or just specific files.

PS - A (possibly) easier way would be to burn a disk image of you HD, or specific folders, onto CD(s)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook Intel 2GHZ CD, 2GB RAM
Chamorro said:
Are you buying from a store, or off the web? If it's a store, ask if they'll transfer stuff for you.

Do you have an iPod or another external HD? That would be the easiest. If not, try putting your files on CD's.

The new iTunes will work w/ your old mp3's. I'm not 100% sure, but your music files will be located on the HD>Users>YourName>Music>iTunes path. You could also check your Preferences in iTunes (this will tell you where your music library is) or search your HD for the folder called iTunes Music.

I had a link to some Outlook tutorials, but it's on my home computer. Look for the Microsoft User Data folder; that's where all your current info and messages are kept. They are separated according to the identity(ies) you're using. You can copy the entire folder or just specific files.

PS - A (possibly) easier way would be to burn a disk image of you HD, or specific folders, onto CD(s)

How do you burn a disk image of your HD?

OP
C

Chamorro

dmachine said:
How do you burn a disk image of your HD?

I'm not sure about OS 9 (haven't used it in about a year), in OS X it should be part of Disk Utility (Create Image), then burn using Disc Burn or Toast. I can't give exact details until I get back in front of my Mac after work.

OP
A

andyeb

Does your old machine have a firewire connection? If so, you could start either machine up in firewire target mode (hold down T during boot) and connect it to the other machine using firewire.

Andy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.