Won't connect to router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.16Ghz Intel Duo Core 2
I have the iMac 20" and was just wondering if anyone else has the same problem as me when I start up my iMac it won't connect to my router/internet, I have to turn Airport Off ... then back on again anybody any ideas how to cure this..........Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
won't connect automatically, or at all?
what happens if you just select your network from the airport dropdown in the menu bar?

also, have you tried a proper reset of your modem and router?
power modem, router, and mac off.
power modem on, wait a couple minutes.
power router on, then power mac on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I've been having a similar problem all day today, and I just figured out my problem, maybe it will help you.

Mine would attempt to connect, but then it would always say there was an error, or it just wouldn't connect at all if I was using the WEP key. Without the WEP key, however, it worked every time.

The problem was in the settings for the WEP key on my Mac. I had to change the WEP Password type from WEP Password to WEP 40/128-bit Hex - which is weird, because on my router the WEP key is in 64-bit mode.

Again, I don't know if it helps you or not, but it's a solution to a similar problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
What brand, and model of router is it.

try putting a dollar sign '$' in front of the key.

make sure the router is set to use the first wep-key, and use the first wep-key on the mac.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
won't connect automatically, or at all?
what happens if you just select your network from the airport dropdown in the menu bar?

also, have you tried a proper reset of your modem and router?
power modem, router, and mac off.
power modem on, wait a couple minutes.
power router on, then power mac on.

It won't connect automatically on power up . The only way it connects is by turning on Airport off and on then it connects. Its a Linksys WRT54GS router, and I have tried the reset .

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
when you start your mac, can you just go to the airport icon on the manu bar and select your network? maybe it just doesn't grab your network by default?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.