Imac 333 Hard Drive

M

micseg

My Imac 333 Died A Couple Weeks Ago. I've Taken Out The Hard Drive And Would Like To Get The Data Off It. Could I Simply Replace The Hard Drive In My 233 Imac With The One From The 333 Imac? If Not, What Should I Do.thanks.

OP
C

Chamorro

That should work, if the HD from your dead iMac was 8GB or less.

You could also temporarily disconnect your CD-ROM in the good iMac, set the HD from the dead iMac to Slave, start your good iMac, and copy from one HD to the other. Obviously, such a path would be easier on a tower.

Another suggestion: put the HD from the dead iMac in a USB enclosure. It'll be SLOW, but you won't need to open up the good iMac.

OP
M

micseg

Chamorro said:
That should work, if the HD from your dead iMac was 8GB or less.

You could also temporarily disconnect your CD-ROM in the good iMac, set the HD from the dead iMac to Slave, start your good iMac, and copy from one HD to the other. Obviously, such a path would be easier on a tower.

Another suggestion: put the HD from the dead iMac in a USB enclosure. It'll be SLOW, but you won't need to open up the good iMac.

I'll start with the disconnect the CD-ROM option. So I disconnect the cable from the back of the CD-Rom and connect it to the hard drive? And how do I set the dead Imac's HD to slave? I've been looking at USB enclosures but would like to avoid the expense for now.Thanks.

OP
C

Chamorro

micseg said:
I'll start with the disconnect the CD-ROM option. So I disconnect the cable from the back of the CD-Rom and connect it to the hard drive? And how do I set the dead Imac's HD to slave? I've been looking at USB enclosures but would like to avoid the expense for now.Thanks.

There will be 2 cables: 1 ribbon cable for your IDE interface, and a 4-pin plug for power. You need to change a couple of jumpers to change the HD to slave. Look for a set of pins w/o plugs on the back of the HD. Then look closely and you should see some of the pins are "joined" by 1 or 2 small plastic parts. The plastic parts are the jumpers. You'll have to do a search for the specific HD's jumper settings to get it to slave.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.