Serious Hard Drive issues

Reaction score
Hi, everyone. I hope I can get some advice here.

I own an iBook G4, and I've had it for two years. In the past 13 months, my logic board and hard drive have been replaced *twice* by Applecare. Now my hard drive is acting like it wants to die again.

After being on for awhile, the machine freezes up. When I restart, sometimes I get just a dark grey screen with nothing on it, or I get the start up screen, and the circular icon stops spinning after a minute or two. So I have to start it again. The machine acted like this this first time the HD died.

So, I know the HD is dying, especially since "the click of death" is becoming more regular.

I still have about 11 months left on AppleCare. My question, I guess, is this. What are my options? Should I have Apple replace the hard drive *again*, or insist on a replacement computer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
At the very least, you should have Apple replace the hard drive again. This is what you're paying for with AppleCare.

You could press for a replacement machine, but it will be an uphill battle. The key is to impress upon the Genius or Customer Service person that you are trying everything reasonable as a consumer, but your problem is not being solved. Make sure you express yourself firmly, but be sure to retain control-- being a hothead will put you that much further behind.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.