Uneven/Unbalanced RAM-need advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Hey Guys,
I’m getting a new C2D MBP. It comes with a single 1 gig stick of RAM. I have an additional 512 from my Core Duo MBP that totally pooped out. I can’t afford buying another 1 gig stick. My question for yall is what do you think of having unbalanced ram? I’m wondering if I should install my 512 in the second slot for an uneven 1.5 gigs or ram. I know this used to be a relatively huge issue, but I don’t know what the current state of affairs is. I tend to think its okay since the Max RAM on these machines is 3 gigs (a 2gig and a 1 gig stick) but dont have any hard evidence. Any thoughts will be much appreciated. Any formal tests that you know of?
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Think about it this way- it will be unbalanced if you don't put the 512 in (1024, 0) and it will be unbalanced if you do put the 512 in (1024, 512). I say put that sucker in. More RAM is more RAM. The dual channel isn't a huge deal anyway. It would be optimum to have matching sticks, but it's no big deal if you don't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
mine (1x1gb 1x256) says its running in Dual channel.

odd?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Trial and error is a great way to learn. so try it! if it runs great, if not just take it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.