Remote Control XP PC from OS X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
(I have had a quick search through the forums, but can't really find anything helpful.)

I am making an old Pentium II ThinkPad (running Windows XP Pro) into a digital photo frame for my parents as a Christmas present.

I have installed a PCMCIA wireless card and connected it to the internet, and thought that it would be a good idea to remotely control it from my PowerBook (G4 1.33GHz running Tiger) to load photos onto and control the software (although I will be also connecting a wireless USB mouse to it for quick access).

So, my question is; does anybody know of any good (free) software that will let me control XP from OS X?

Thanks.

(Mods: I wasn't really sure where to post this question, so please feel free to move it if you feel it should be placed elsewhere).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Remote desktop for mac 1.0.3 from the Microsoft Website works great for me. I manage a whole school network of XP, 2K, and Servers from my Macs at home using it. Its free. Have to adjust the options for full colors and such before you connect to the IP addy though for best experience. It defaults to basic low bandwidth settings.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2 x 2.26 Quad, 6GB DDR3, iPhone 4
My only gripe with Remote Desktop is that it locks out the main screen while you log in remotely. And if you are going to log in as a different user it will log the exsisting user out. So I have RealVNC installed aswell and just connect through a VNC client if I want to stay in the currently logged in user.

Ad

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
will either of these work with remote pcs?

my mother-in-law is a computer illierate, and it would be nice if i could remotely log in to help do normal maintenance and troubleshooting. she's in texas, so i would not have direct contact with the machine. but i could probably walk her through opening a command prompt and doing an 'ipconfig' if i had to.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried Remote desktop for mac 1.0.3 but I was unable to get any success from it.

I then tried Adam's suggestion of RealVNC on the ThinkPad, and installed Chicken Of The VNC on my PowerBook, and I was able to remotely control my ThinkPad. Also, after a bit of messing around in ZoneAlarm (firewall on PC), I was able to get file sharing working too.

So, it seems to be working fine at the moment!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.