File deleting and security

Reaction score
Ok, I'm brand new to Mac and I'm loving this new world.

Something I don't know is how to securely delete files. In Windows I had a program to securly wipe freespace. It would write over the free space multiple times so nothing could be recovered. It also had the option to "shred" files, delete them by overwriting multiple times.

How does all this work with my new Mac. I have a 15in MacBook Pro running Tiger.

Thanks

Reaction score
Click on the desktop to make sure your're in Finder, then select Finder/Secure Empty Trash.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for that. What about things that haven't been done that way, i.e. the free space on the hard drive. Is there something in Tiger, or is there some app for Macs that will securely wipe the freespace?

Reaction score
Thanks for that. What about things that haven't been done that way, i.e. the free space on the hard drive. Is there something in Tiger, or is there some app for Macs that will securely wipe the freespace?
I'd be interested in knowing if there is a relatively easy answer to that question. I'll be watching!
biggrin.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) will do that and it's on every install of Mac OS X.

Just click the drive you want to work on and click "Erase". Then at the the bottom you'll see "Write 0s to free space". You can do that up to 7 times, I think.

Reaction score
Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities) will do that and it's on every install of Mac OS X.

Just click the drive you want to work on and click "Erase". Then at the the bottom you'll see "Write 0s to free space". You can do that up to 7 times, I think.
Hey that is really cool. I can't believe how much I'm learning about my Mac and I've been using a Mac for 14 years. I think sometimes we just get stuck doing the same things over and over and never learn the tricks that are available. Thanks again.

REP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook

Good tip... great to know when deleting sensitive information, like bank account records, CC bill, etc...

OP
Y
Reaction score
Thanks for all the help. I went there (applications>disk utility) and after selecting the laptop drive it gives me the tab choice to erase, at the bottom it says "erase free space". It has three choices "write zeros one time" and seven times, and THIRTY FIVE TIMES. With 31 GBs of free space it is estimating 43 minutes for one time. So if you plan on doing it set aside some time.

Thanks again for the help. :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
Yes, it takes time, but if you are very concerned about security it is very valuable. I think the CIA uses a 7 pass system on any HD they dispose of (forget where I read this on a computer security site). The Mac can do a 35 pass erase....

I usually use the regular empty trash, and then do a 1 pass weekly and a 7 pass monthly, and it should do a 35 pass yearly when that happens (Jan 1), as long as I have my crontab set up correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Yea i love the option just to search is spotlight or finder just for the application and dragging it right to the trash can...No more Start-Control pannel-add/remove programs junk!!

Macs are just easier!!!!

Welcome to the Apple World too my friend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.

Its even more impressive then 7 times! 35 times!

Reaction score
Hey I just tried to erase free space and after waiting for an hour I got a message that said "your startup disk is almost full -- you need to delete some files"...I don't understand this.

My HD is capacity is 80GB and available shows at 63+ GB. What's up?...I guess I don't understand what I am doing. Can somebody walk me through this?

My HD shows my Toshiba HD and underneath my hard drive volume...I selected the HD volume. Did I do that wrong?

M

MacHeadCase

Hey I just tried to erase free space and after waiting for an hour I got a message that said "your startup disk is almost full -- you need to delete some files"...I don't understand this.

My HD is capacity is 80GB and available shows at 63+ GB. What's up?...I guess I don't understand what I am doing. Can somebody walk me through this?

My HD shows my Toshiba HD and underneath my hard drive volume...I selected the HD volume. Did I do that wrong?

From what I read the "Erase Free Space" command creates a huge file that takes up all the empty disk space. It seems from posts I've read here that the file(s) should be in your trash. Someone from MacOSXHints recommended using OmniDiskSweeper if you can't spot the file(s) in your trash. And run Disk Utility starting from your CD or DVD that came with your Mac and run "Repair Disk".

I wouldn't use that "Erase Free Space" command at all, unless it was imperative to do so. I've read this happens all the time getting the message your disk is full and it brings hassles.

M

MacHeadCase

Just found something that might be useful. A handy freebie for viewing file sizes, files that are hidden or not, is id-design's WhatSize.

Reaction score
From what I read the "Erase Free Space" command creates a huge file that takes up all the empty disk space. It seems from posts I've read here that the file(s) should be in your trash. Someone from MacOSXHints recommended using OmniDiskSweeper if you can't spot the file(s) in your trash. And run Disk Utility starting from your CD or DVD that came with your Mac and run "Repair Disk".

I wouldn't use that "Erase Free Space" command at all, unless it was imperative to do so. I've read this happens all the time getting the message your disk is full and it brings hassles.
Yes this is exactly what happened. But I didn't see anything in the trash although I didn't open the trash either.

Problem is that the earse free space never finsihed...really I don't know what to do. The good news is the computer still works after I ran "skip".

I'd like to run this program once just because I've had this PB for 3 years and never realized that I could or should have been suing the secure empty trash for sensitive info.

I checked out that OmniDiskSweeper and ran it and got the image attached...not much to delete. What exactly is the "Previous Systems" for? Can I delete that? It's the only thing of any size other than my applications folder.

What do you think?
cry.gif
cry.gif

Picture-1.gif

M

MacHeadCase

Crumbs! I'll let someone else with more knowledge jump in here, I sure don't know what's best to do now.

I know that previous systems would imply you once did a re-install using the Archive and Install method? If this is the case, I would think moving the Previous system folder to the trash is safe as you surely had the time to recuperate all the old personal files you needed.

Edited to add:

If you do drag the Previous system folder to the trash, just don't empty the trash just yet, let a couple of days go by and see if all is well and nothing is flaky upon booting up. If all is ok, then it is safe to empty that trash.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
what if you just tried running onyx and deleting all your cache files? perhaps that might work to delete "temp" files casue by the mishap.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just trying what size myself now. that is a really nifty app. [rep added earlier is well deserved!]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.