G5 or intel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch 2.16Ghz iMac, 15 inch 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, 30 Gb iPod
Looking to buy very soon (days) but i dont know if i shouls get a 2.33Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo, or the Best g5 imac i can find. when are the software companies going to start putting out software that will run on the Intels without Rosetta (or what ever it is called), by then am i going to want a new computer anyhow so shoud i just go the g5???

what should i get around $AUD3000??

Reaction score
Depends what you want to run. Apparently Office runs OK under Rosetta, but Photoshop less so.

I used to be of the mind that buying bang up-to-date hardware was a waste money (back when I was a Windows user). But when I upgrade in the new year, I'll get a 20-inch Core 2 Duo iMac with 2gb RAM - I wouldn't even consider a G5, even though it'd be cheaper. If you want to save money keep an eye on the Apple refurbished store.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20 inch 2.16Ghz iMac, 15 inch 2.4Ghz Macbook Pro, 30 Gb iPod
but what about a CAD program?
ArchiCAD 8.1???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Buy the Intel.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
There aren't many things left to make universal, the most notable being Photoshop and Office. They're already in the works and a beta of Photoshop is available, so they'll be out within a year (more likely 6 months, I think). You may as well get get Intel now - no point limiting yourself to older kit just for the sake of a few months, unless you want to buy another one sooner rather than later :)

Reaction score
Wait 'til MacWorld Expo, or whatever it's called in spring. Get a new iMac with a potentially better processor and OS X Leopard fully loaded.

That's what I'm gonna do,\.

Reaction score
Get the latest and the greatest. The G5 isn't getting any younger and never will.

In a year the Intel machines will be taking a back seat to the newest Intel machine. Then where 'ya gonna be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Right now there is really no point in purchasing a G5, if you're looking to use it with apps that will be released in the future. It's not in the forecast for Apple to switch back to the PowerPC architecture, which would make any PowerPC a dying platform. It won't be long before the majority of apps put out for the Mac will be coded for Intel processors only, not just Universal Binary, which allows them to be run natively on both PowerPC and Intel machines. I'd rather deal with a little bit of Rosetta now than have to deal with the incompatibility of new software later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.