Im going on a 1 week trip-what to do with Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Im leaving my macbook pro at home...

should i

1.) leave it off (of course) but leave the power plugged in so its charging...
(will this damage the computer somehow?)

or 2.) disconnect it form the charger and just put it in a case for safe keeping till i come bak? (will this be bad for the batterry or computer if its not used or being charged or anything for a week?)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
just totally unhook it. its not damaging, and may not even completely drain the battery. even if it does this should be done periodically anyway. just chage it again, and you're good to go.

OP
M
Reaction score
just totally unhook it. its not damaging, and may not even completely drain the battery. even if it does this should be done periodically anyway. just chage it again, and you're good to go.

just change the battery? lol i JUST got the macbok like 2 days ago!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
The usual thing is to leave it off and unplugged. If you're being really careful, take the battery out too, although it's not really necessary.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
unfortunate misspelling...

charge. not change.
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
The usual thing is to leave it off and unplugged. If you're being really careful, take the battery out too, although it's not really necessary.

I concur

Reaction score
Off ≠sleep. Off = shut down.

There's no benefit to sleeping the machine for a week. Shut it down and the battery will be in the same state as when you left. It will take an extra 20 seconds or so to turn the machine back on when you get home.

Do not leave it plugged in for a week unused. As a general rule this is bad for rechargeable batteries. The Mac might be smart enough not to suffer because of it but as a habit, learn to shut things off and keep them unplugged when they won't be in use for days at a time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Take it with you! :p

Reaction score
I don't suppose you would consider just mailing it to me??

Reaction score
Tip 1: wrap it in old newspaper and hide it under some old (preferably dirty) shoes in a wardrobe.

Tip 2: don't broadcast on the Internet that you're not going to be at home but are leaving your lovely Macbook Pro in the house!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Shut it down and the battery will be in the same state as when you left.

if you mean solid rather than liquid (or melted); then i agree.
if you mean state of charge, i'd have to disagree based on experience.

i'e had laptop batteries that discharge at different rates, but they would all discharge noticably within a week. i had one (14" compaq) that would almost fully discharge within a week if not left plugged in. though even this one would start completely normally once plugged in again.

also, why do you think it will take longer to start after sitting a week?

Reaction score
eric -- check me on this, but I'm pretty sure that:

(1) the computer being shut down will leave the battery much closer to its current charge than leaving it on sleep ... it might not retain its full charge but I would think that's the sign of a problematic battery. Rechargeable battery technology has improved to the point where many devices (like cameras) rely on them and a good solid charge even after months of non-use.

(2) It takes longer to start from a shut down (cold boot) than just waking up from Sleep mode.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well for sure drain will be higher on sleep then it would be when left off. as for the rest, i can only speak from my experience.

OP
M
Reaction score
thanks for all the replies guys..so i should just unplug and take the battery out then? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHz Macbook Pro, 1.5 GB RAM.....1.83 GHz Macbook 1 GB RAM
its just a week.....just turn it off and leave it unplugged. It might be a different story if you were storing it for 6 months, but your not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.