Macbook Pro (1st gen) warranty question

Reaction score
I recently made the switch to mac and its great! I first got a mac mini dual core, and I just picked up a used Macbook Pro 2ghz. Last night I registered it online under my apple login.

So here's my question: I want to get the extended Applecare coverage. This laptop was only purchased in June, and sold to me last week used. If I wait until the end of the first year of purchase (June 07) and buy the Applecare coverage, will I get coverage starting from that date? Or if I buy it this Christmas, will the extended coverage begin from this month?

I've heard mixed things saying people wait until the end of the first year to get more time out of the extended coverage, but I also read online that it doesn't make a difference because its from the date of purchase. But since I bought it used, I'm not sure what would be considered the date of purchase?

Not sure if this is in the right thread, but I couldn't find one about Apple warranties. Anyways, any advice would be appreciated. But after reading about all the small quirks and problems some people have with their Macbooks, I'm definitely going to go for the warranty, the question I have is when?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
The extended warranty extends it 2 years from the date of purchase. Only benefit to waiting is that you are just saving money for a little longer before aactually having to buy it.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I figured, I just thought I'd double check incase I could stretch it out.

On average do most people on this forum go for Applecare?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
get applecare.. no question.. I have already paid mine off.. and my wife's. its worth every penny.. blown speaker on my PB. fan and keyboard took a dump on my wife's. parts and labor would have been over $700.. ironic part is all of these issues came up in the 13th month of use.

Reaction score
Ok, I just got myself a nice Macbook Pro over thanksgiving? I didn't get the applecare, should I? Id rather not waste the money since I have 1 year of it, I guess if I notice some discomfort in it in this one year, I might pick it up. Is the applecare the same as the free 1 year?

Reaction score
I have a question: AppleCare is 'global', but is the normal warranty cover also global?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Definitely get applecare as it has also paid for itself for me. I had 5 repairs in a month costing over $3,500 and all I paid for was the Applecare. These repairs also happened in the 12th month of owning the powerbook.

Ok, I just got myself a nice Macbook Pro over thanksgiving? I didn't get the applecare, should I? Id rather not waste the money since I have 1 year of it, I guess if I notice some discomfort in it in this one year, I might pick it up. Is the applecare the same as the free 1 year?

Yes its the exact same as the free 1 year support you get when you purchase a computer.

I have a question: AppleCare is 'global', but is the normal warranty cover also global?

Its the same service as the 1 year warranty that came with the machine when you bought it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
Just another strong vote for AppleCare.
I had about $1100 of parts replaced (who knows how much in labor costs) on my MacBook Pro 1.1 and just sent it off for a replacement (new C2D model...YAY) with moderate frustration with the service people. Though all of this would have been covered with the base 1 year warranty, I need to depend on my laptop for at least 3 years.
-d

OP
K
Reaction score
Definitely going to go for the Applecare in the new year when I have some money saved up. It seems like the Macbook Pro is quite fragile or prone to have some malfunction based on all the posts I've been reading! Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to say its a bit disconcerting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
One thing to keep in mind is that the Core 2 Duos have less issues. I bet some people will disagree with this comment but I think the Core Duos were the trouble makers.
-d

OP
K
Reaction score
Yeah it seems that way. Applecare/warranty also covers an replacement upgrade if the condition of the laptop warrants it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
Definitely going to go for the Applecare in the new year when I have some money saved up. It seems like the Macbook Pro is quite fragile or prone to have some malfunction based on all the posts I've been reading! Don't get me wrong, I love it, but I have to say its a bit disconcerting

Just remember that these are forums and most of the posts are because there are problems with something. I think most problems arent as big as they seem on here so I think you will be fine with your computer. If something ever does happen, just know that you have the warranty to cover it.

Yeah it seems that way. Applecare/warranty also covers an replacement upgrade if the condition of the laptop warrants it?

Yes, this is what happened to me, after 5 repairs they decided it was cost effective to replace my machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.