iPhoto is less user friendly than "My Pictures" on windows...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
Sorry, bit unrelated, but quick question. Say if you create an album in Iphoto and drag pictures into that, does it then create an additional file as well as the one in the library? Or does it still link to the same picture?

I'm wondering this as a question of space. One of the things I don't like in Itunes is that if I have a song on, say, a greatest hits or a compilation and also on the original album cd, I have to have the song on my hard drive twice (unless there is a way around that I don't know about), and I was thinking the same with my photos.

Reaction score
This is a fundamental difference between OS X and Windows IMO. It is one of the major hurdles a switcher has to clear. I use Aperture and it took me sometime to get over the fact that my access to the pictures is only through the program, not some folder structure. There are advantages and advantages and disadvantages to this approach, but once you get over that hump and realize that the folder structure no longer matters it makes OS X a lot easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If I want to use images in iPhoto to upload to websites or email to people, I export them to a folder (reducing the size as appropriate) and then work from there. That's just me wanting to stay in control of files, but you might be able to relate to it as a Windows user.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I only use iPhoto to keep, organize and share pictres that I download from my Camera.

For everything else, I use Graphic Converter. It's not free, but it's worth the money.

2.) say im browsing the net and i see a pic of a merceds mclaren...and i want to save it...normally on windows i could right click save and then save it to my pictures>>cars>>mercedes. (and if i dont have those sub- folders i can create them very easily in the same windows)

You can right lick and download the picture to a default folder on a Mac, I do it all the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
Sorry, just to check then,

Having a photo in an album as well as being in the library does not use double the disk space. Is that right?

Reaction score
MacNewbie...patience grasshopper...you're using a Mac now not the dreaded PC...it's different. It's better but you can't continue to compare every little thing. Take your time -- you'll see in the long run you have made the right decision.
right_on.gif

Reaction score
This option is not open to everyone but after getting my latest printer (HP) I switched over to the progam that comes with it HP Photosmart Studio. It works better for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Honestly all I use iPhoto for is loading photos from my digital cameras. And exporting ones I want to use. I don't use it for anything else. I keep a folder on the desktop for images i download, and clips and stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.