Mail Attatchment Problems

Reaction score
I am having a problem sending attachments in Mail.app. Sometimes they go out sometimes not, what is the problem? The attachments are all .zip files ranging from a couple of megabytes up to 7 or 8 MB. Also, it is really annoying that mail has no status bar for sending attachments and never gives me a reason, just puts the messages in the outbox. Any ideas? I am using Gmail by the way and it works if I go through the gmail web interface.

Reaction score
Do you mean by status bar... the progress it's making when going out? If so, that would be your activity viewer found in the window tab.
I see you're not getting any error messages when it just goes to your outbox?
Are you having any other problems with mail going out in mail other than your zip files?
Or is it just with those?
Someone will be able to offer more help. I was having problems with mail going out but I was given a reason and it was coming from my server.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the activity viewer. I now know what is happening, they are sending, but it is just taking FOREVER! I sent a 5.5 MB attachment to test this and it took like half an hour. Is Mail limiting its bandwidth usage maybe? Is there anyway to speed this up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Thanks for the activity viewer. I now know what is happening, they are sending, but it is just taking FOREVER! I sent a 5.5 MB attachment to test this and it took like half an hour. Is Mail limiting its bandwidth usage maybe? Is there anyway to speed this up?

I've never known Mail to limit the speed, it could just be file size or have to do with how your ISP handles outgoing Mail with their server setup. Just for grins try a different Mail program and see what happens.

Reaction score
That is a big file. Be glad you're not on dial up!!! Like me. Are you sending pictures in those zip files? If so, you might want to just break them up and send more with less MB's. I had to have a friend do that with their stuff they were sending me in zip. Zips are nice because you can cram alot of stuff in there but when the files are huge, it can be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
see if gmail has a different port for the outgoing server. Some ISPs block certain ports. As with yahoo they have a low port and a high port. I have to use the high one, because my ISP blocks the low one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.