iPhoto 6 advanced mode?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to remove my red-eye in iPhoto 6 but found it not to have enough control. I read on multiple websites that there's a thing to bring up advanced mode (click red eye tool then hold ctrl, caps, 9 then press tab). I've tried this loads of times and in different orders and nothing changes :-s does anyone have any ideas?

All the best
Simon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Hi everyone!

I've been trying to remove my red-eye in iPhoto 6 but found it not to have enough control. I read on multiple websites that there's a thing to bring up advanced mode (click red eye tool then hold ctrl, caps, 9 then press tab). I've tried this loads of times and in different orders and nothing changes :-s does anyone have any ideas?

All the best
Simon

never heard of that - but holding caps? That's a first for mac for me...
I'll see what I can dig up or discover. Just where did you read this?
It really doesn't sound like an apple shortcut. If there is an advanced mode, it would be accessible through the menu or at least through right-clicking. Apple certainly wouldn't hide it - as this could certainly put people off the software if they think it's not advanced enough for them.

Apple's site doesn't show anything about this hidden feature
http://www.apple.com/support/iphoto/shortcuts/

...OK, done a little digging. Here's one link I found
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060504123458727
*trying now*

0_0; it worked!
The link above explains it best. Make sure you release the keys before hitting tab. In redeye retouch, tab will revert to the regular cursor. Tab again will open it again. Click the redeye to deactivate. You'll have to do this each time you launch the app. You can also turn caps off once activated.

Well, I was sure wrong :p That's a pretty cool tip, and I'm glad I researched into it. Hope you get it to work, Simon. I found the instructions at the link above worked best, and got it to work first try.

Makes me wonder what other sort of hidden features other Apple apps have....crafty little monkeys :D

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Core2Duo, 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram, 15.4"
Yeah that's the page I found but I still cant get it working! Don't suppose you could tell me what exactly you are doing in detail could you pleeeeeease?

Thanks!
Simon

PS

Could it be that it's not working because I'm on a macbook pro, ie a laptop with different keyboard layout? What mac are you using?

update! I got it working using a demo of Keystrokes onscreen keyboard, still annoying but it works. Any ideas as to why this might be? And does anyone know how you can do decent redeye reduction for people with brown or green eyes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
well, I'm on a macbook, and I got it to work. I'm using iPhoto 6.0.5 (316) <- go to iPhoto>About iPhoto to check version. Shouldn't make a difference here, but better to check.

1. Double click a photo to enter the edit options. (I was doing this from the Library - but I doubt this makes a difference)

2. Click once on the redeye tool (or retouch tool) to activate it. Just to be safe, move the cursor over the image to see the mouse icon.

3. Press ctrl, caps and 9 at the same time and release. Caps should now be on. So long as they're all down at the same time, it should work. I tested a couple of different ways (holding ctrl first, then caps, finally 9 - still worked)

4. Once released, simply press tab - nothing else. From here, the mouse icon should change. You can now turn caps off if you like, and tab will cycle the function on and off. Use the [ and ] keys with either tool to shrink and enlarge the sample size. Shift + [ or ] will alter the strength of the action with the retouch tool.

If that's still not working - I'm not sure what else to do. I could try recording a movie of myself activating it if that'll be any help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.