New laptop, need advice...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Hey guys, I am in dire need of another Apple in my life since I sold all of the ones that I had purchased and upgraded over the last several months. Anyways, my heart is really yearning for a 12" Powerbook G4 since I've always wanted one since the day I saw it. However, the MacBook Pro 15" is really tugging at me as well, but it's a lot larger than I prefer, and costs about twice as much as a used PB G4 12".

All in all, this will be my mobile machine. I've always wanted a laptop that is small, mobile, and gets great battery life. I had a Compaq V2000 that got decent battery life but was too large, sold that and purchased a HP nc4010 that is the right size, but the battery life is terrible and it has no internal CD drive, and now I want an Apple.

I've worked with several MBP notebooks, setting them up and all. I'm an IT manager for a small/medium business and I set up our CEO's MBP 15" which was my first real experience with it, and I really liked it a lot, except for the size and weight. I would prefer to have an Intel laptop, but I can't stand the keyboard on the regular MacBook and just don't like the way it looks. I dig the aluminum on the PB G4 and MBP, and I really love how durable they seem to be. Anyways, here's my choices:

1. Apple Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz/512MB/60GB/Combo $599
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...E:L:RTQ:US:1&viewitem=&item=330064555598&rd=1

2. Apple MacBook Pro 15" 2.0GB Core Duo/512MB/80GB/Superdrive $1349
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ZHVNIf/1.0.0.21.1.0.8.7.3.5.1.1.0.1.5.1.0.5.0

I've been eyeing auctions on the PB G4 12" and that one seems to be a pretty good deal. The only thing I would change would be to add a Superdrive in place of the Combo drive. This laptop will be used mainly just for internet/e-mail and some MS Office applications as well as some MS remote desktop for my rigs at work. It will be just basic non-intensive use, and I would love to be able to upgrade to OSX 10.5 when it's released.

What do you guys think about getting a PB G4 12" at this point and time? What would you do? I'm really leaning toward the PB G4 12" because it's much smaller and lighter, and less than half the price of the MBP 15", yet it is used and I may have to purchase a new battery if it doesn't hold a good charge. Thanks!

Reaction score
I read that a rumor was going around that we would possibly see a 12" MBP simliar to the 12" PowerBook. If you got the patience--I would wait and see what happens at MacWorld. If not-I would say get the 12" PowerBook. I think they are still great systems, and for what you desire to use the machine for..it'll work great!

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
I thought those rumors were surfacing when the original MacBook Pro came out? I think they were expecting 12", 15", and 17" models like with the G4, but they never made it to market. If there is a possiblity of a 12" MacBook Pro I will certainly wait!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
For what you describe I think the G4 will be fine. Leopard should run on it too since it is a recent model and Leopard is suppose to run on PPC processors.

As for the rumored 12" Macbook Pro model. If you can wait than at least wait for Macworld announcements. Unless of course you can find a stinking good deal on the PB G4.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Well, I just scored a Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz model with the Superdrive and 80GB hard drive for $520 on eBay, so I guess my mind is made up. If Apple ever releases a 12" MBP I will be first in line, though...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
I love the 12 in. Powerbook's. That's what I was going to get before I got my iBook but I figured I didn't need it..I regret it! Oh well, MBP for me sometime early next year [=

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.