made the switch last night... :-)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
finally I got my PowerBook and after some hours I am still amazed... :) however still a lot to learn...

anybody can advise for a good wordprocessing software ( not necessarily Word, please )

many thanks, pistooli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
pistooli said:
finally I got my PowerBook and after some hours I am still amazed... :) however still a lot to learn...

anybody can advise for a good wordprocessing software ( not necessarily Word, please )

many thanks, pistooli

Welcome aboard. I use AppleWorks and am quite happy with it. IMO it's a great deal, (although it was free with my machine), and it's Apple :D ).

D

dziner

xPad is a great little app and very cheap. Only $9.99. I was one of the beta testers so I have to reccommend it. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
thanks for all the recommendations... anybody tried ThinkFree Office? It is available in the local PCWorld...

thanks - pistooli

J

JonnySkyman

I would love to dump MS Office but can Appleworks open MSoffice files?
Can it do this easily by just clicking on them or do you have to run some kind of converter? Is all the formatting kept the same?

jon

C

Chamorro

JonnySkyman said:
I would love to dump MS Office but can Appleworks open MSoffice files?
Can it do this easily by just clicking on them or do you have to run some kind of converter? Is all the formatting kept the same?

jon

I believe AppleWorks will open MSOffice files, but you may lose some formatting (Word), and possibly some Excel formulas/graphs.

Z

Zapple

I would recomend the Appleworks because its free, prety good, and it gets the job done. :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
free??? sorry for being so ignorant but where can I download it?

many thanks - pistooli

W

Wapa18

pistooli said:
free??? sorry for being so ignorant but where can I download it?

many thanks - pistooli

it only comes free on apple's consumer computers (imac, emac, ibook). the pro line (power mac g4/g5, powerbook) doesn't come with it, and you would have to buy it if you want it ($70).

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
crystal clear now... thanks.

pistooli

T

TylerMoney

oh....that's crappy..why wouldn't the PowerBooks come with it?.....well..it doesn't matter...I have MS Office....but I must admit I'd like to try appleworks...since I tried macs...I couldn't be happier....oh well....

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
well... I have a brand new PowerBook 17" and I do not find AppleWorks... :-(

but anyway... I got ThinkFree Office and for basic word processing it seems all right,,,

cheers - pistooli

L

londontown

I've been using Open Office which is reasonable for basic stuff. I've had fewer problems opening excel spreadsheets with it than Appleworks.

For anyone interested, here is the URL: www.openoffice.org

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
but for openoffice.org you need X11 installed I guess??

cheers - pistooli

S

s3pt1k

I posted some links to some OpenOffice stuff in this forum (in this section as well) just the other night. You'll find them helpful. Search the forum for OpenOffice, you should. Frankly, I love it cause I can use it in Linux, Mac, or Windoze and it's all the same.
:)

UPDATE:
Here is the link to my other post:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4683

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2 GHz, 20"
I am totally addicted... :) ever since I got my PowerBook I bought an iMac and today an iPod as well... will it ever end??? lol

cheers - pistooli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I feel the same -- super :) relieved to be completely M$ free and my Mac supporting all my computer needs, iPod next on the list! :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.