Application installation?

F

Forbiddenryu

If i download an application like azureus or vlc player, the dmg file downloads to the desktop and when i install it the program appears on the desktop as well. but whenever i restart my computer the program disapears and i have to double click the dmg file to get it on again. how can i install the program so it stays installed n my aplications folder?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
drag the program for the dmg into the application folder. you can drag it from the application folder down to the dock fo quick access

Reaction score
Just double-click the .dmg file, then in the mounted volume that appears, drap the app (VLC or Azareus) to your Apps folder and launch it from there.

Then drag the mounted volume to the trash to eject it and also trash the .dmg.

matt you beat me to it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
matt has no life and is on this forum 24/7. ;)

Reaction score
I'm going to jump in.... I just downloaded firefox on my eMac. I trashed the dmg but I still have the (I"m assuming its called the mounted part) on the desktop. I dragged the program into the application folder. I'm always afraid to eject the mounted part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dont worry ejecting it wont delete the application. it doesnt delete anything. it just closed out the disk image.

OP
M

MacHeadCase

A sign that you are not deleting something important is that the trash icon, when you drag the .dmg to it, will change into an eject button.

I like to keep my installers and burn them to CD (or DVD if I have photos and other stuff at the same time I want to archive) so if anything goes wrong, I can always get back up and running with the same stuff I have installed at the moment.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.