Strange problem...very strange

Reaction score
i was editing a footage in my 20" intel-based imac and the screen suddenly... became all wrong... nothing as working so i just restarted it, hoping it would be fixed on startup, but it wasn't... i don't know how to explain, and i coudn't find anything like this in the forum...i'm attaching a picture of the "OS X is starting up" screen 'cause i can't explain what's on the screen:radioacti i don't know if it's a OS X issue or it's the hardware, but i really need help...

DSC00079.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
looks like a graphics card problem id would take it back or contact apple.

OP
B
Reaction score
the only problem is that i live in brazil, and it's not easy to find an apple assistance around here... but i still have warranty, and i think i'm going to the US in the next months...but until then i won't have access to the computer...well...that's bad... thanks for the help...

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with a Dell notebook (PC). The video card memory went bad. With the Dell, I was able to access a pre-boot diagnostic routine; in the process of running the diagnostic the problem temporarily fixed itself. A couple months later it happened again and nothing would fix it. I bought a new notebook (HP), then for some reasons six months later started up the Dell again and ... ta-da ... it's working fine.

I don't know what if any comparable capability OS X has to that pre-boot diagnostic. But if you're really lucky it might pop back to life on its own. I'd get the video card replaced soon even if it does, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini i5, 2.3Ghz dual core, 8 GB RAM, OSX 10.8.2
Judging by your picture, your video card is set to a higher frequency than your monitor is able to display. Used to be common when setting a CRT monitor capable of max 75 Hz to 100 Hz for instance. What could have caused this, I do not know.

See if you can navigate to the display properties in system preferences and set the screen refresh rate to 75 Hz in the drop down menu.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I would suggest you to do the standard hardware test first and see whether things are in order.

If you don't get any errors there, reset the PRAM.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
I've had a similar issue before when I put a graphics card in and it wasn't fully seated... maybe yours has jiggled itself loose?

I also agree that the resolution may be a problem, but if your iMac is anything like my Mac Mini, it should only display graphics modes compatible with the display. If this is the case and the current graphics mode isn't greater than the supported resolution of the display, and the video card checks out, your display may not be functioning properly. Either way, it's an issue for Apple to take care of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
until then i won't have access to the computer
I recently had a weird flickering problem with the refurb Macbook Pro I bought. The interesting thing about it was that it seemed to only affect the laptop display. An external display worked fine. Well in the two test cases I managed to trigger. So perhaps you could hook up an external monitor for now.

I'd be adventurous enough to find the information required to make sure the graphics system is setting properly. But if you're not comfortable with that, then yes, wait til you can get expert help.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
to kind of combine what ToddG and xstep were saying...

i had a similar experience with a 17" HP with a soldered on video card that destroyed itself from an overheating issue.

my screen looked a lot like that (imagine trying to troubleshoot, load new drivers, etc with that view...). AND when i hooked up an external crt, it was still like that. so, like step says, if you can find an external monitor to hook up, at least you'll be able to diagnose the problem further, or get some more use out of it before bringing it in - depending on your results.

OP
B
Reaction score
it already came back from the store... it was the video card... but it came back more noisier... i think they increased the fan speed to prevent it from happening again, dunno... but everything is working fine... thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.