• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

User Reputation System Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I have noticed that when I get a user rep addition, sometimes it is a single point increment (my rep "score" goes from n to n+1) and sometimes it is bigger (example: my rep "score" goes from n to n+10).

When I add to someone else's rep by pressing the button under their name in the post, I don't have the option to say how much I want to add. I get two choices: (a) I Approve of this posting or (b) I Disapprove of this posting.

I have seen several posts that were REALLY helpful, where I would like to give the author more than just a one point bump. How do I arrange for the author to get multiple points?

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, may have answered my own question. I went hunting for posts about the User Rep System, and it seems that the size of the bump a user gets when someone posts a user rep rating is a function of how long the person giving the rep has been on the forums, how active they have been and so on. It is an attribute of the person giving the rep, but not one that they can control on a rep by rep basis. Have I got this right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yep.

The more rep you have, the more rep you give or take away.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
a good example would be me and baggss. if i were to give you + rep I would guess you get +1 or so.. if baggss gives you rep i would guess you get 10+.

I hardly ever see anyone that has high rep give it out with the exception of DB.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I do quite a bit but don't always remember to give it out as much as I probably should. Baggss is correct, the higher your rep, the more rep it gives out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I gave mac57 some for his last post, he can tell you how much I give I suppose.

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the rep, baggss. Since you mention it, I had a look. It looks like I got 9 points added to my score. I am not sure, since it doesn't show you how much got added each time, but I think that this is what was added, if I remember my previous score correctly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
I noticed that some psycho added a comment "I don't like you" in the Comment section of my points thing? I don't even know what that means, and I have a whole 3 posts. Who would have said that to me?

M

MacHeadCase

I added a rep to nullify the bad one.
icon12.gif

Stick around: not everyone here is like this. There are some very cool people here.

Reaction score
I do quite a bit but don't always remember to give it out as much as I probably should. Baggss is correct, the higher your rep, the more rep it gives out.
Dude, give me some REP cuz you have more "Rep Power" and it will count more than somebody with very little "Rep Power"...Yea!!!

First, what do the terms and numbers mean?

• Reputation power = the amount of 'power' you have when you give reputation to others

• Reputation level = the amount of reputation others have given you

The whole purpose of the reputation system is to reward members for having a good take or doing something for the forum that represents something over and above the call of duty so to speak. An example would be running a contest or something like that. If someone makes a nice post another user can give reputation points to that user. Alternatively a user can disapprove of a post and take away reputation points for bad posts. Never abuse the system.

The more a user is online, the longer he is a member, and the more a user posts, the higher the reputation points will be. And based on their reputation they can get more or less points on top of that.

The amount of reputation points that you can give is directly related to the number of reputation points you have.

If you have 500 reputation points, you can give another user more reputation points than if you only had 50 reputation points. The better your reputation, the more important your opinion of other people's reputation is.

Register Date Factor, Post Count Factor, and Reputation Point Factor are all multipliers. So the more reputation points you have the more reputation power you will have eventually.

The reputation system is somewhat complex and there doesn’t seem to be a detailed explanation of how the system works. What I outlined above is, however, in general terms how it works.

Hope that helps!
biggrin.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24inch iMac
I added a rep to nullify the bad one.
icon12.gif

Stick around: not everyone here is like this. There are some very cool people here.

Hi MacHeadCase--thanks for the explanation! I DO plan to stick around. This is an awesome place and I've learned so much already. Thanks also to Schweb--I found his "Switchers" thread to be of much assistance. I am a PC convert, although I have to use one during the day at work :(

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way, [email protected], I had someone once get quite offensive in a rep post against me - no substantive comment on what I had posted, just ranting at me. I reported them to the moderator. You may wish to do the same thing. I lost a few points in that one too.

Reaction score
By the way, [email protected], I had someone once get quite offensive in a rep post against me - no substantive comment on what I had posted, just ranting at me. I reported them to the moderator. You may wish to do the same thing. I lost a few points in that one too.
This is one thing that forums dislike about the rep system. It's generally abused by people who dislike another poster and go crazy with the "negative rep" option. Many forums disable the negative rep option and only allow for positive rep. In a lot of ways that makes sense. If a poster is abusive that is what moderators are for and the "bad post" button!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
I need to use the rep point system more, sometimes simply dont think about it when I read good information provided by someone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I noticed that some psycho added a comment "I don't like you" in the Comment section of my points thing? I don't even know what that means, and I have a whole 3 posts. Who would have said that to me?

I've just read all your posts... nothing offensive, so not sure.

Reaction score
They should activate the thing that shows who left the reputation...that way you know who to thank and who to hate!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think leaving that option off is a good thing. If someone leaves you bad rep and you know who it is, you going to either want to argue or to retaliate. It's just human nature.

Reaction score
I thinkn disabling the negative rep option would be a better idea.

It's almost always counter porductive.
wink.gif

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
I think leaving that option off is a good thing. If someone leaves you bad rep and you know who it is, you going to either want to argue or to retaliate. It's just human nature.

i disagree. anyone who leaves bad rep who doesn't leave their name should think twice about whether they would if they were forced to. seriously, if you're taking advantage of anonymously flinging negtivity someone's way (which in and of itself brings up loads of character questions), then you're a hypocrite to think it's wrong for someone to 'negative rep' you back (its just as inane).

and, to be completely honest, if someone were to give me negative rep for this, signed and everything, i wouldn't feel at all like i would have to retaliate, it's just not cool. i apparantly don't have, or maybe want to have, the same view of human nature.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.