Dual Monitors

T

TylerMoney

Hey guys. I just set up my PowerBook with dual monbitors. Well..the laptop, and another bigger exterenal monitor. I was wondering how I could adjust my settings so that when there is another monitor open, I could have certain programs actually open up completely on the other monitor. Like Safari, and my adobe stuff. I am using the dual monitors so as while I'm at home working on projects, I can do my work on a larger monitor. Is this possible with mac?.....if so, where do I go...it's not under my regular display settings. There I can have my monitors both having the same thing....but I don't want that. I want to be able to have different programs up in each window...as to take full advantage of dual monitors. If anyone can help me, that would be great.....thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro Quad Xeon 2.66GHz 3GB RAM, G4 Quicksilver w/Sonnet 1GHz Encore ST, 1ghz G4 Powerbook
I don't think that you can choose which program opens where. I believe that it is all or none. If you want to change your startup monitor, do this…

Open -->System Preferences-->Displays
Select the Arrangement Tab
Drag the Menu bar from the PowerBook display image to the other.

When you restart your external monitor should be your startup monitor.

OP
T

TylerMoney

alrighty. sounds good enough for me. unless anyone elsee knows any progrmas or anything that can make this more costumziable....thanks again immdb.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Open up the programs you want to control. Put them in the places you want them to open up on the dual monitors and then close them out. Now whenever you open them they will open on that monitor etc. Unfortunately when you disconnect the monitor it will go back to default. What I did was set up a username for daul monitors and one for mobile so that it doesnt screw with the settings

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
trpnmonkey41 said:
Open up the programs you want to control. Put them in the places you want them to open up on the dual monitors and then close them out. Now whenever you open them they will open on that monitor etc. Unfortunately when you disconnect the monitor it will go back to default. What I did was set up a username for daul monitors and one for mobile so that it doesnt screw with the settings

one problem... Safari continually opens on the left monitor no matter where it is after closeout. Mail and everything else abides to what you said. Any ideas? :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
When I say close out I mean a full quit. I haven't had any problems getting it to stay so make sure you quit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
as did I - quit Safari several times - been like this for a few weeks now. i've repaired permissions and restarted to no avail. Tried the same method with Mail and iTunes and they stayed where I left them. :-\

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.