FTP problems, any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

I have a Hosting account with DowntownHost and I always run into problems when I use a FTP program (Cyberduck and Transmit) to upload files to my account. Both program give me timeout errors when uplading multiple files and choke on just about any size of file (even 4K. Gif's).

Funny thing is, I also use the same programs to upload to 2 free Hosting accounts that I have without any problem.

Any ideas?

Gemigene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Agreed. sound's like your host has issues. Maybe you need a new one.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
FTP problems

new host maybe??

It crossed my mind but I went with them after 2 weeks of searching, reading Terms of Agreements, webmatser's forums, etc. and they came in highly recommended, not a single bad review and most of all, honest and excellent support (except for the FTP problem which they think could be from my end, they're still trying to help me out)...

Kinda confusing,
Gemigene

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you asked them what ports they use for FTP? They could be using non-standard ports that you need to open up on your Mac.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ftp

Have you asked them what ports they use for FTP? They could be using non-standard ports that you need to open up on your Mac.

We tried that also and they do use standard ports but to no avail...

Thanks,
Gemigene
:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Always one to share the stupidity of others with others, someone left this as rep for me about my first comment above:

"Oh wait! I cant my the Mac! no way! Macs are perfect, it's always someone elses fault."

No spelling corrections were made, but the grammatical errors are amusing. To bad for that person that the rep had zero impact on me (no points taken)!

Back OT, it seems odd that you can use the App with other servers, but not yours. Do have Passive FTP enabled?

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ftp

Always one to share the stupidity of others with others, someone left this as rep for me about my first comment above:

"Oh wait! I cant my the Mac! no way! Macs are perfect, it's always someone elses fault."

No spelling corrections were made, but the grammatical errors are amusing. To bad for that person that the rep had zero impact on me (no points taken)!

What the heck was that all about? LOL

Back OT, it seems odd that you can use the App with other servers, but not yours. Do have Passive FTP enabled?

Yes, passive is enabled. Could it have anything to do with my OS-X firewall settings or router?

Gemigene

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Have you tried the reverse and turned off Passive Transfers? I have had that work a few times in the past.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
In my experience, these sorts of problems always relate to Passive mode one way or the other. I generally revert to good 'ol Terminal to debug them. Start a Terminal session and type "ftp your_host_name".

Enter your username and password when prompted.

Now enter the command "ls". This lists the contents of the directory you have just signed into. If you don't get anything back, you have passive set wrong, usually. In this case, kill the program (usually CTL-C will do this) and launch ftp again.

This time, after you log in, type "PASV". If this comes back as unrecogized, try "EPSV". If this comes back as unrecognized, try "PASSIVE". Different ftp servers use different forms for the command, hence the multiple options above. This command toggles the state of the passive setting. Now try the "ls" command again. This time, hopefully, you get the listing you have requested.

If the above works, you have confirmed that you have a passive setting problem. You will now have to play with your ftp client of choice to make it do the same thing you just bludgeoned the command line ftp program into doing.

By the way, if you are interested, the command line FTP client is a very good client. You can download by using the "get" command, and you can upload using the "put" command. I hate to admit it, but after two years of using Linux prior to coming to Macs, command line ftp remains my favorite ftp client.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Problem fixed. The CEO of DowntownHost himself saw my post on another forum and moved my hosting account to another server. Talk about great service, I highly recommend this hosting company.

Thanks,
Gemigene

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Try FTP'ing from the console window and see if you still experience the same problems!

Reaction score
I have the same problem with Transmit to my server, but not when I turn off the firewall on my Mac. Anyone else had this problem and could help me sort it out? Thanks

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
I hate to admit it, but after two years of using Linux prior to coming to Macs, command line ftp remains my favorite ftp client.

Yip, my favourite too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB c2d 2.16ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb Harddive
i use Cyberduck and it works perfect. and is really easy to use just google it and you should find some download sites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.