• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

People who are banned

Reaction score
Lets be honest, piracy is all over the net and people talking about it.

Why ban someone for asking a question about something they shouldn't? (MacNewbie in the other thread for instance)

Surely deleting the thread and emailing or PMing the person telling them that if they ask about it again will result in a permanent banning?

Just my two penneth anyway...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
If you're stupid enough to post "where can I steal xxx software" threads you deserve banning for being an idiot as much as being a pirate IMO!!

OP
L
Reaction score
What they choose to do is up to them, I just don't think a permanent banning is justified.

A first and final warning would suffice IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The rules say no talk of illegal activities when you sign up, so by breaking that you've nothing to complain about if you're booted off.

Harsh, but fair.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
This is a fine line. On most forums, some talk of this sort of thing is allowed to one extent or another. This one doesn't allow any, so what? Their forum, their rules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This happens on virtually every forum... someone gets banned for asking where they can download Logic Pro for free and either gets banned or someone who answers gets it.

Then there is a huge moral outcry about freedom of speech, blah blah and how the mods are too heavy handed etc. What bothers me is that people think downloading software illegally is acceptable. In fact, people think it's 'cool'.

I'm more than happy to take the negative rep on the chin for saying this, but people who steal software are scum. They try and dress it up in pseudo revolutionary or anti-establishment language like it's some big attack on the corps, but the the same people who download Office 2003 or cracked versions of Tiger, would probably feel very differently if it was them on the receiving end of theft.

Also, there is no excuse these days. You hate microsoft? Don't want them getting your hard earned allowance? Well don't download Office from haX0rZ.com... use OpenOffice or NeoOffice or any number of shareware apps that can do almost everything the professional aps can do anyway.

[/end rant]

:bomb:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"...cracked versions of Tiger"?????

I can't say that I disagree, although I have done such things in the past I find myself more and more willing to pay for the software I use. This is particularly true of shareware or SW from small developers who depend on that money to keep making good Apps for the Mac.

Now music, that's a different story....;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
"...cracked versions of Tiger"?????

I can't say that I disagree, although I have done such things in the past I find myself more and more willing to pay for the software I use. This is particularly true of shareware or SW from small developers who depend on that money to keep making good Apps for the Mac.

Same here. I forked out for Fetch just recently (a really simple and easy to use FTP app) - $25 although I could keep using it for free if I put up with a 45 second delay every time I launched it.

Now music, that's a different story....;)

I'm curious to know your reasons. :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest, I can't really explain it. I'm willing to pay for software and regularly buy DVDs (I don't download movies, to many formats to deal with), but Music just seems different, although I know that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, and I don't feel remotely guilty about it. I buy a limited number of CDs, generally only my favorite artists, but that is about it. That being said, I don't use P2P or torrents either and I do buy music off of iTunes and e-Music as well.

I think this line of discussion has gone about as far as it can on this forum. PM me if you want to talk about it more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Lets be honest, piracy is all over the net and people talking about it.

Why ban someone for asking a question about something they shouldn't? (MacNewbie in the other thread for instance)

Surely deleting the thread and emailing or PMing the person telling them that if they ask about it again will result in a permanent banning?

Just my two penneth anyway...

its very simple.. if you choose to break the rules you need to deal with the aftermath of your choice.. if you do not want to follow the rules then don't agree to them. when you post a message you have aggred to the rules in my opinion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Same here. I forked out for Fetch just recently (a really simple and easy to use FTP app) - $25 although I could keep using it for free if I put up with a 45 second delay every time I launched it.

I did the same thing with Transmit FTP for OSX. Tried it for a while, loved it and paid for it. Never regretted it either. I am glad a lot of the small developers let you try it first before you pay as that way you can be sure it's what you need/want before buying.

Reaction score
I've never stolen a single piece of software. I even shelled out for WinXP SP2 when I could very easily have "borrowed" a free copy from a relative's business site license. It was very hard to hand over $100+ for another copy of an operating system when I have two or three permanently retired computers in my house with WinXP SP2 on them ...

Having said that, I don't see why an instant permanent ban is appropriate for someone new to the forum. It's the Mod's sandbox and they can certainly make any rules they want, of course. But it seems to me that warning the guy (publicly and in PM) and locking the thread with a message that such behavior is unacceptable would have a greater long-term benefit than banning.

It's all well and good to say "it's in the rules" but come on ... do you really think everyone who signs on reads all of those rules (or remembers them all)? And even if you think it's a forum member's responsibilty to remember every rule, is banning the best punishment for an infraction?

Have you memorized your country, state/province, and city's criminal codes? And do you think capital punishment is the appropriate penalty for every violation? :)

Just my $0.02. I think Mac-Forums is a fantastic, friendly, helpful community and I'm glad that I can participate and benefit from all the people here.

Stay safe!

Reaction score
I'm curious to know your reasons. :black:
Now there is a double standard. Weak!
icon12.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've never stolen a single piece of software. I even shelled out for WinXP SP2 when I could very easily have "borrowed" a free copy from a relative's business site license. It was very hard to hand over $100+ for another copy of an operating system when I have two or three permanently retired computers in my house with WinXP SP2 on them ...

I thought MS's licensing allowed you to re-use a license as long as the previous copy was removed from the old machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
I thought MS's licensing allowed you to re-use a license as long as the previous copy was removed from the old machine.

I dont think thats true but im not sure. I think your aloud to installed it on any machine you own?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe. For some reason I though the XP license was for a single machine, but could be moved to different machines as long as it was only used on one.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Maybe. For some reason I though the XP license was for a single machine, but could be moved to different machines as long as it was only used on one.

You are correct but with Vista they were trying to make it even stricter but got so many negative letters they backed off. You can install it on a new machine YOU OWN if you completely take it off the other machine. You usually have to call them though and explain and they give you a new key.

M

MacHeadCase

*snip*
It's all well and good to say "it's in the rules" but come on ... do you really think everyone who signs on reads all of those rules (or remembers them all)? And even if you think it's a forum member's responsibilty to remember every rule, is banning the best punishment for an infraction?

Have you memorized your country, state/province, and city's criminal codes? And do you think capital punishment is the appropriate penalty for every violation? :)
*snip*

Besides the point. How many forum rules must you remember, in reality?
  • Don't behave like a moronic beast to other members,
  • don't post spam
  • and don't talk about pirated software.

That makes it hardly country, state/province, and city's criminal codes. Heck, if the criminal code was that easy to memorize, anyone could be a lawyer.

MacNewbie knew plenty well that talking about this was not allowed:

Anyone on here use torrents to DL microsoft office for mac?
bone.png

i am basically broke after spending 2500+ for the new mb pro so any little amount helps, the microsoft office for mac is quite expensive, would rather dl it
Quicktime.png

the 2004 version is on isohunt.com....

any newer versions or student versions someone can direct me to?
Quicktime.png
shh'

Doesn't sound to me like he didn't have an inkling he'd get it good for posting this. He even knew how and where to get the 2004 version. Besides, a lot of forums share the same rule about talk/posts of pirated software: it is NOT tolerated.

Like zoolook posted, if MacNewbie were a software developer, I don't think he'd like it one bit to see talk of this nature posted openly in any forum. Developers have to eat and pay the rent too, you know.

This rule is only to protect the forum itself! The owner could be sued and where would that leave the community? No more forum. There are forums that talk openly about that sort of thing and specialize in that kind of activity: that type of talk should be taken there not in forums like here.

And like another member posted this earlier, Their forum, their rules. A forum isn't a democracy. You stay because you like the other members, the atmosphere and you go along with the way it is administered.

That's the way I see it, anyhow...

Reaction score
I love the "free speech" arguments.
rolleyes.gif

Heh...this is a private forum and you have no rights. You follow the rules or you don't get the privilege of posting on this private board. Seems fairly simple to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.