• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

People who are banned

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Those sites are basically pirated software up for sale, but they've gone to the effort of making a nice website.

They are usually based in Russia and go by the lax copyright laws in that country.

All of MP3 has been in the news a lot for the same reason - they sell tracks for next to nothing and pay a small royalty to the Russian music 'ombudsman'. The music companies say it's illegal though and won't accept the money from this organisation. It's all going to court in the new year.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
A bit off topic, but I didn't want to start another post. What's up with sites like these?

removed link -eric

wow... my work's proxy did not like that one...

"Access to this web page is restricted at this time.

Reason:
The Websense category "Illegal or Questionable" is filtered.
"

[edit]gah, if i had waited a minute for alexis to edit that post, i would have known not to click on it...[/edit]

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Yeah, that link should probably be removed LOL.

M

MacHeadCase

At first I thought it was abandonware but near the bottom... that certainly is NOT abandonware!!! :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Those sites are basically pirated software up for sale, but they've gone to the effort of making a nice website.

They are usually based in Russia and go by the lax copyright laws in that country.

All of MP3 has been in the news a lot for the same reason - they sell tracks for next to nothing and pay a small royalty to the Russian music 'ombudsman'. The music companies say it's illegal though and won't accept the money from this organisation. It's all going to court in the new year.

Actually, it already went to criminal court, and won. The RIAA and it's cronies are now trying to take them to civil court in Russia, but there is no guarantee what the outcome will be.

In the meantime, The Russian Duma (parliament) has modified Russian law to close the loophole under which AllofMP3 was operating. What is not clear is if there was a "grandfather" clause in the wording of the law that would allow them to keep operating and the fact that they are still open says a lot.

(NOTE: THIS story claims that the Russians have agreed to close them down.)

Russia was pressured into changing their law by the US and Europeans who were barring Russian entrance into the World Trade Organization for a number of reason, including copywrite violations by places like AllofMP3.com.

Reaction score
I wish they would agree to shut down the Russian spammers who register on boards like this to post their drivel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.