Macbook Pro Dead Pixel Question

ADR

Reaction score
H:( i, I purchased a new macbook pro last week and noticed 2 little white dots when my screen was all black. I downloaded a pixel check program and verified that the dots are only visible when the screen is black. Are these dead pixels? Should I see about getting a replacement? This is actually my second unit. The first one had a defective lcd latch and would not open the display. This is my first mac laptop and I'm feeling that the build quality is not what you would expect from a 2k laptop.

Any feed back would be appreciated...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
go to store, tell them they need to replace it (as long as its been less than 14 days)

tell them its turning off a lot on its own. simply tell them they can replace it NOW, or can refund your money.

theyll give you a new one, and you get the exp of opening a new box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
yeah they should replace it. doesnt apple care cover it anyways?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
tell them its turning off a lot on its own. simply tell them they can replace it NOW, or can refund your money.

theyll give you a new one, and you get the exp of opening a new box!

Did you suggest that he lie about RSS? This kinda rubs me the wrong way. We expect great and honest service from Apple and I think being honest about the product they sold you and just exactly why you are unhappy is simply the ethical way to proceed.
Don’t mean to preach....... but I couldn’t help myself.
-d

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
As you said, it's a $2k unit, so I would expect nothing less than prefect conditon. Get it fixed or replaced.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
are they dead or stuck? have you tried massaaging them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
It is also sometimes possible to literally massage a dead pixel back to life. You can try (at your own risk) gently rubbing the surface of the LCD screen in the location of a dead pixel, which sometimes will stimulate the pixel back to life. How hard you decide to rub is left to your discretion. If you cause any damage to the screen, that's your responsibility.

http://lowendmac.com/misc/2k0323.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
that is the crazyest thing i have ever heard but thats cool if i ever get any dead pixels ill be sure to try that!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you suggest that he lie about RSS? This kinda rubs me the wrong way. We expect great and honest service from Apple and I think being honest about the product they sold you and just exactly why you are unhappy is simply the ethical way to proceed.
Don’t mean to preach....... but I couldn’t help myself.
-d

no harm meant.

but if i got a unit that was 2000$, and apple wouldnt replace it because their "dead pixel policy" is 6-8 pixels ( i have no idea if apple does things this way), thatd rub me the wrong way

nothing wrong with telling apple its shutting off. a return is a return, cant argue that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
LCD display companies and laptop sellers have (unwritten?) rules about pixel faults. Two pixels is not a big deal usually. Yours sound like they are stuck in the ON position. I'd consider that more serious than OFF position pixels.

Today I took my (new to me) MBP CD refurb to the Apple store because it had several clusters of dead (OFF) pixels. The tech agreed that was serious enough to replace, so I'm getting a new screen. I just picked it up on Saturday for another fix and when I got it home, noticed the problem for the first time. It wasn't there before. When Apple is done, they will have rebuilt most of the computer!

As for the massaging trick, that was the first thing the tech tried.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
nothing wrong with telling apple its shutting off. a return is a return, cant argue that.
People lying because they can't accept that perfection does not exist, costs consumers more.

I'd take the thing in, tell the truth, and see what Apple has to say. Have you heard of ethics? Sheesh!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yes i have heard of ethics. it was just a suggestion.

and i know perfection doesnt exist, but who wants that hassle with a 2000$ laptop? NO ONE.

i was just simply providing a way for the poster to get a replacement. if you bought a new mbp and spent 2000$, and in the first 14 days HAD ANY type of problem, youd want another one, its that simple.

so get off my back, and dont preach to me about ethics. i think some of you people just take things to literally on a forum. i was offering an option nothing more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.