Very Disappointed

T

The Giver

I went today to see the new iPod Mini, and I asked one of the people there about an external monitor to hook up to my iBook, and they said that the iBook can't do it, and I spent 2000 dollars on it and I can't hook up one of their cool monitors?!! Also, I bought SimCity4 earlier, and I've played it on my iBook, and they said it doesn't even have a 32 Video Card! It only has 16, and i still payed 2k for this thing!!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone X, Watch 3, '18 MBP w/touchbar, '17 iPad Pro 10.5
I don't know who you spoke to, but my ibook came with an attachement for an external monitor included in the box. I play simcity4 as well, and have had absolutely no problem with it at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
The Giver said:
I went today to see the new iPod Mini, and I asked one of the people there about an external monitor to hook up to my iBook, and they said that the iBook can't do it, and I spent 2000 dollars on it and I can't hook up one of their cool monitors?!! Also, I bought SimCity4 earlier, and I've played it on my iBook, and they said it doesn't even have a 32 Video Card! It only has 16, and i still payed 2k for this thing!!!!!

The iBook doesn't have the ability to connect to a Studio display, but there are a number of different displays that will work with it, including Formac's Gallery displays. You need to keep in mind that the iBook is Apple's entry-level portable, and certain connectivity and performance features are only available on its professional PowerBook's.

As for the video card, all iBooks come with a 32MB card, not 16MB, and it is again quite capable for an entry-level portable.

OP
S

supenguin

My ibook came with an adaptor to hook it up to an external VGA monitor. I also picked up one that allows me to hook it up to a TV - both S-video or RCA. I've also seen adaptors to hook it up to other types of monitors. I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get one that allows you to hook your ibook up to one of Apple's studio displays.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 mhz iBook G4- 12"
Giver...your ibook will use other monitors...however, it is not set up to use an "expanded desktop". i just went through this, as i use a lot of media and wanted to have a lot of windows open. You can resolove this, but it is not apple supported....check it out:

http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html

there is another version that some like better, by another programer... if you need it, let me know.

OP
T

The Giver

Well the guy said that SimCity4 requires a 32 video card thingy, and iBooks aren't made to play it.. the thing that is wrong with my SImCity4 is that whenever I scroll, the screen messes up, and it over laps itself, and other things are that it is impossible to move a little bit, if I press the left arrow or watever arrow, it moves a whole lot, so that is also annoying. Also, some things don't show up when I am playing, like on the Maxis Tutorial, it tells me to put something in a highlighted area, when I don't even see a highlighted area.

OP
T

tmjf_sifu

The Giver said:
Well the guy said that SimCity4 requires a 32 video card thingy, and iBooks aren't made to play it.. the thing that is wrong with my SImCity4 is that whenever I scroll, the screen messes up, and it over laps itself, and other things are that it is impossible to move a little bit, if I press the left arrow or watever arrow, it moves a whole lot, so that is also annoying. Also, some things don't show up when I am playing, like on the Maxis Tutorial, it tells me to put something in a highlighted area, when I don't even see a highlighted area.

do you have a G4 or G3 iBook?

OP
A

andyeb

I use my G4 iBook with an external monitor every day, so it definitely is possible ;) However, you are limited to 1024x768 resolution, unless you are prepared to use one of the hacks to remove the restriction (this can invalidate your warrantee and there is evidence to suggest that it is likely to damage hardware or shorten the service life of the logic board - you have been warned!)

iBooks also lack the ability to do dual screens (i.e. one screen on the LCD and something else on the VGA output). However I also believe it is possible to bypass this limitation as well, but I have not tried either of these hacks.

Andy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.