Verify Disc Error Message on MBP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Hello. I have just been backing up files off my laptop as I am bringing it home for Christmas, and thought I would clean it up a little. I went to check and repair disk permissions for the Boot disk, then went to verify the disk and get it to repair any problems it was having as it seemed a tad slow for the past 2 months.

Then when I asked it to Verify the disk, after a few minutes, this came up...

Error%20message.png

Does anyone know what it means, and also how I go about fixing it without spending money on programs? The repair button stays greyed out, so was wondering if anyone has any ideas.

Thanks in Advance

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Put the OSX install disk 1 in the drive and boot up with it. Use Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk (you cannot do this from OSX, only when you've booted from the disk first).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Unlike "Repair Disk Permissions", "Repair Disk" sometime requires you to boot from the Disk to do the neccessary changes. Like karudzo said, boot from the Installation disk and re-run the "Repair Disk".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
From the screenshot, it says the volume header needs 'minor repairs'. This probably just means that the free space count needs resetting or something equally trivial. The only reason that you need to reboot to the install disk is that if you arbitrarily change the header of the boot disk, it can cause problems down the line with other processes that use and/or cache that information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.