Need to encode WMA files on the Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
Well, my conversion is almost complete. I have found software to handle everything I need to do on the new Powerbook with one exception. Before I can retire the IBM Laptop to become part of the stereo system supplying iTunes feeds and move completely to my Mac, I have to find a way to create or convert to WMA (Windows Media Audio) files.

I host a weekly radio show that has archives of the show, all in WMA format. There are numorous reasons I won't go into that prevent us from changing formats, so don't suggest that.

Do you know of software that will convert another audio format to WMA on the Mac? Do you know of software similar to BIAS that will save to WMA?

I can always install my current software in VirtualPC but want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

Jerry

S

StarManta

I've been looking for a Mac proggy to convert from WMA to MP3... thought I'd throw that in the pot while we're at it.

S

s3pt1k

I've done some looking, and not come up with anything. My advice would be to use your PC to convert them to MP3 and then move them to the Mac.

Good luck!
:)

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
s3pt1k said:
I've done some looking, and not come up with anything. My advice would be to use your PC to convert them to MP3 and then move them to the Mac.

Good luck!
:)

That's what I am doing but I would like to get completely off the PC for this stuff. There are a lot of brite programmers out there that should be able to create a converter for this. They could make some money selling it as shareware too. Anyone know the best place to post such a request? I would be willing to pay $50 for a converter that works.

Jerry

S

StarManta

Hmm, I wonder if VLC can convert them? I know it plays WMA, and can export things to other formats sometimes.... brb, gonna go try it.

S

StarManta

Well, I can export it to a .wav, however itunes and Quicktime both tell me the sound is corrupted. If you can find a ".wma output module" for VideoLAN, you may be able to accomplish your goal.

If anyone wants to play more with the VLC exporting, please post any results here!

S

supenguin

mplayer allows you to output pcm .wav files. At least it does on Linux. I haven't played with the Mac version that much yet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.