• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

How do u take a screen shot in mac osx 10.4 tiger?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ibook G4, 14.1,768mb,1.2ghz,60 gig, cdrw/dvd slot drive,extreme card
hey everyone, i want to take a screen shot of my desktop so i can send it to my MACLESS friend so he can see what he is missing, I figured out how to make adium look like my contacts are just on my desktop and won't move so i don't have to shrink it it just stays.. Let me know how to take a screen shot please..

M

MacHeadCase

For a full screenshot, you do this keyboard shortcut:

Command (or Apple key) + Shift + 3

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
kool it worked, but the only problem is I don't have a photo editing program that i can turn it into a jpg or resize it... Oh well..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
if you download onxy you can change it to ther jpeg format. also if you open it in preview you can select the part of the image you want and go to edit>copy then file>new from clipboard

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Go Save As in Preview and change it to whatever you want. .JPG is on the list.

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
wow everyone thanks.. figured it out thanks again everyone, I will try that photo editing software u recommended waffle woman.. I will post some screen shots when i get a min... hope u like em,, please let me know, i am still working on how to change the other programs i use..

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, Preview comes with Mac OS X. So you can just use Preview like dtravis7 says. :girl:

M

MacHeadCase

BTW, if you want to take a user-defined screenshot (with crosshairs) you simply hold down the Command (or Apple key) + Shift + 4.

For extra pizzaz/eye candy, you can hold down the Command (or Apple key) + Shift + Spacebar + 4. This will take a screenshot of your frontmost window: but you'll get your very own camera to take your snapshot!
icon12.gif

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i am so lazy i don't search, i figure if it were crowding they would start deleting some posts lol...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
To capture the screenshot in a different format you can follow the following guideline.

1)Open the Terminal.app (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal.App)
2)Type screencapture -i <filename>.<format> (eg. screencapture -i image1.jpg) and hit enter.
3) Now the cursor should turn in to a crosshair(+). Select the area you want to capture

That should be it.

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks NOVICE, I will check that out as well.. That is the more show off way, people that see that won't know what is going on, can u change the screencapture -i image.jpg to screenshot.jpg? Or any other file name?

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
since i am here instead of starting a new thread.. What is a good program for word processing? I use it to write out my bills and highlight them when i pay em.. The one that 10.4 puts in here is not good for that, and for some reason my osx setup dvd doesn't put mac 9.1 on there.. or 9.2... Weird...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I use a Spread Sheet for my bills and have it do the total at the end of each month. If you want a program like Office with Word and Excel, you can either purchase office for the Mac or download NeoOffice. It's free and does what Office does but FREE! It's compatible with Office also and since you are not doing anything major for say a company, NeoOffice should do just fine for you.

There is Apples iWork but it does not yet come with a Spreadsheet application.

M

MacHeadCase

I would think it would be best (for forum rules) you start a new thread. For searching purposes hence more helpful to other members. And posted it in the correct sub-forum.
icon12.gif

OP
Krash
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok neooffice, yes i just use a regular word processing page, in text... OK so does anyone know why when I upgraded my ibook g3 from 10.2.8 to 10.4 i got mac 9.2 now that i do a full install on my ibook g4 since my g3 is gone with its own 10.2 loaded i don't get os 9.2 can someone tell me why?

M

MacHeadCase

I would think it would be best (for forum rules) you start a new thread. For searching purposes hence more helpful to other members. And posted it in the correct sub-forum.
icon12.gif

Start a new thread. It'll help others after you when they search for the same problems.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.