On G3 Ibook 800 should I have 350meg + ram usage?

Reaction score
All im doing is using wireless and downloading 1 file under firfox and my used memory is 350 megs out of my 640 i have. Is there a way similar to msconfig (under xp) to uncheck uneeded processes or programs that are eating my ram away?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
i know how to end them but not stop them from starting. you can end them from the acitvity mointer

Reaction score
Why do you want to stop them? The Mac is not like Windows. You don't have a bunch of useless stuff that eating away your memory. Unless there is something wrong with your System, they all serve a purpose. If you kill a bunch of processes you will either crash your machine or they will relaunch.

OP
E
Reaction score
well what i mean is that I dont think I should have 300+ megs memory usage without me running many apps myself. Of course i am basing this on my pc usage not mac usage but I know on my pc desktop with a few applications running after bootup I have 150-200 meg usage under winxp. Im just wondering if there is any way to get the usage down since i only have 640 megs to work with. i noticed under inactive processes there is 300+ megs usage. isnt that strange for inactive processes to be more than active one?

OP
E
Reaction score
well its just that everything seems really sluggish. I wonder if its just the 4200 rpm HD bogging things down?

Reaction score
well its just that everything seems really sluggish. I wonder if its just the 4200 rpm HD bogging things down?

The G3 iBook is not known as a speed daemon. Do you have another machine to compare it to? It should run 10.3 slowly, but capably.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.