First disappointment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Today my scroll button on my mouse quit working....so I phoned Tech support ( I purchased the 3 year extended deal)...and asked about sending it in for repairs...and was told it was a cleaning problem and it was not broke...I was given a couple suggestions of how to clean it...that did not work...I feel kinda stiffed because when purchasing the computer and extended warranty...I was told everything would be taken care of if I had a problem...I guess I have two options 1 Hit the mouse with a hammer and send it back 2 purchase a new mouse and mark it up as a lesson learned.....Has anyone else had this problem...if so how was it resolved? Thanks J.Hightower:eek:neye:

Reaction score
I have the Apple Optical USB Mouse and a iMac C2D. The little button that allows horizontal/vertical scrolling has failed a couple of times in the month and a half that I've had this mac.

When it failed it was only the scrolling back up to the top of the page that wouldn't work. I fixed it twice by going into System Prefs and fiddling with the Scrolling and Tracking settings.

I've seen other threads on the Mac-Forums where people air their feelings about their failed mice so I guess I knew I would experience problems sooner rather than later.

Recently the upward scrolling has failed and I can't fix using the above method so while on one hand I'm thinking that Apple should take responsibility for this dodgy scroll button and either I'd take it into the AppleStore and ask them to show me that it's possible to have the button functioning again with a little house-keeping, or Apple would replace it with a new mouse.

Then on the other hand I'm thinking that I should just buy another mouse which I know would offer more reliability.

In actual fact, Im so used to the older mice which didn't have the scroll button that I almost don't really mind using the scroll bar in the active window/browser, but I guess I'm going to have to look into the track ball cleaning option before I do anything else.

You might find this link helpful but take care and read everything carefully as you are following this advice at your own risk:

http://repair4mouse.org/disassembly_apple.html

UPDATE:

I just fixed the scrolling by having a Safari window open and then pressing and holding Control and rolling the scoll button. While this zooming was still working anyway, doing it then letting go of Control somehow got the scroll button to correctly scroll both upwards and downwards....so it wasn't an issue of dirt at all in my case, more like a bug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
The scroll wheel can stop working, but I find it's easily fixed it you use a damp, even wet, piece of kitchen roll and run it over the wheel a few times.

Reaction score
support

I had a problem with the keyboard and they replaced it in one day. I was impressed. Keep on them, if it doesn't work they will replace it. If you did everything they asked and it still doesn't work demand a replacement.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini DC 1.66, Powerbook G4
There is full instructions of how to clean the mighty mouse scroll wheel here, complete with video:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302417

You need to invest in an anti-static cloth, or similar cloth that will not leave any debris.

This way of cleaning works every time (providing that is the fault), but it is frustrating. I sold my MM for that very reason and got an MS optical one.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Looking Better

Thanks Pulse-8,Alexis,nymike and Kyomii for the replies and help....I called the tech line again after going thru all the cleaning procedures with negative results...and mac is sending a new mouse....so its looking better...J.Hightower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
The Mighty Mouse is junk. Buy something from Logitech or Microsoft.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
Thanks Pulse-8,Alexis,nymike and Kyomii for the replies and help....I called the tech line again after going thru all the cleaning procedures with negative results...and mac is sending a new mouse....so its looking better...J.Hightower

from a business perspective think of it this way:
you call and say your scroll wheel isnt working there are two options, clean it or send it back for a new one.

one costs a lot of money if it only needs the other...cleaning is free, replacing becomes expensive so they will always have you troubleshoot the first time and then do something else like replace it the second time.

glad you have it resolved!
-chris

Reaction score
When I get my MM (Monday) I think I am going to return it unopened for a refund and buy a new one like I have. Just too many horror stories.
shrug.gif

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Today my scroll button on my mouse quit working....so I phoned Tech support ( I purchased the 3 year extended deal)...and asked about sending it in for repairs...and was told it was a cleaning problem and it was not broke...I was given a couple suggestions of how to clean it...that did not work...I feel kinda stiffed because when purchasing the computer and extended warranty...I was told everything would be taken care of if I had a problem...I guess I have two options 1 Hit the mouse with a hammer and send it back 2 purchase a new mouse and mark it up as a lesson learned.....Has anyone else had this problem...if so how was it resolved? Thanks J.Hightower:eek:neye:

I'm confused, you are saying you called up and said there was a problem and he suggested you attempt to remedy the problem. And you tried it, and never called them back with he result.

He was just trying to help you fix it without having to send it in. You weren't stiffed at all.

It's not even about 'keeping on them.' Just call them back(aka follow-up) and tell them it didn't work, and that you want to have it fixed or replaced, see if they can do an advance-exchange.
Where they will send you a working mouse, and you send yours back in a prepaid package. And don't hit it with a hammer.

There is a company that makes a kind of 'floss' for the scroll 'nipple' but I don't know if you would want to bother trying. You don't sound like much of a DIYer. Here is an article: OCD Spotlight: Flossing your Mighty Mouse

Reaction score
But the thing is I have never had to "clean" my present mouse and have had it for years. It NEVER stops working. I was trying to keep an open mind about the MM but I'm just not willing to put up with all these issues so I can have have an Apple mouse. Cleaning the scroll ball every couple of weeks isn't my idea of a solid product. When the MM came out I thought ``gee, Apple finally got with the program and it's probably great"...and while a few have said it's a pretty good product I think the masses are saying it's not all that. Just my 2¢.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
But the thing is I have never had to "clean" my present mouse and have had it for years. It NEVER stops working. I was trying to keep an open mind about the MM but I'm just not willing to put up with all these issues so I can have have an Apple mouse. Cleaning the scroll ball every couple of weeks isn't my idea of a solid product. When the MM came out I thought ``gee, Apple finally got with the program and it's probably great"...and while a few have said it's a pretty good product I think the masses are saying it's not all that. Just my 2¢.

People have been cleaning their mouse ball for 20+ years, it's not like it's a new concept. Nobody whined about solid products then. :yinyang:

M

MacHeadCase

Yeah used to have to clean the rubber tracking ball a-plenty in the old mice I had. The dirt prevented precise tracking. I find I clean out the scroll button a lot less!

Plenty of cat hair and a dusty building will do that, you know.
icon12.gif

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
Got my new mouse today....I was not complaning about cleaning my mouse....the problem was the scroll worked up but not down...I have had to clean enough track balls to know that one way function is not a cleaning problem....the problem has been resolved....and very fast...thanks for the replys...J.Hightower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
People have been cleaning their mouse ball for 20+ years, it's not like it's a new concept. Nobody whined about solid products then. :yinyang:

Cleaning a regular Mouse ball is easy, you can take it apart and get into there. The scroll ball on the MM is a different story and Apples solution of using a damp rag is more or less useless. This is simply a poor design on Apples part and nothing more. They could have designed it to be accessible fro cleaning, but they didn't.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac
[QUOTE=Ice Cream Man

There is a company that makes a kind of 'floss' for the scroll 'nipple' but I don't know if you would want to bother trying. You don't sound like much of a DIYer
I build Bamboo flyrods as an hobby....I machine parts that go into space for a living....And I do not mind trying suggested repairs....and I love my new imac...so icecreamman you are very quick on the draw to flame....chill out and back up and read my post if you are confused...J.Hightower

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They could have designed it to be accessible fro cleaning, but they didn't.

Fro cleaning?!.....finaly a solution :yinyang:

Oh, and I did read you post JHT, It was merely an observation based on your primary posts demeanor. No flame intended, you sounded like you didn’t like that they suggested trying to fix it as a first step. You made it sound like the wouldn’t help you any further.

I know people who put things in space; satellites, and rockets. General Dynamics Rocks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
good point, i hadn't looked at those, they are good!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.