Access to my XP machine from my MAC

J

JFever

I recently got a MAC and tried (through a lan) to connect to the XP machine and get some files.

I can ping the other machine and I can ftp from the XP to the MAC (but this will take too long as there are a lot of files in different folders).

but if I try to map it (in XP ) it say the path is not found (by ip address) then when I try from smb://<ipaddress>/<sharename> to a share that is shared out on the XP machine
I get a Error 36 the data could not be read or written...

no login screen nothing.

any help would be greatly apreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
on thing you should know first.

MAC is media access control. it is used with routers and modems and things like that.

Mac is short for Macintosh. use this one for now one :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
just like ATM is Asynchronous Transfer Method not Automatic Teller Machine

lol exactly...

matt- you give that same response whenever somebody says MAC, and its really not helping people with their problem, I am sorry for pointing that out, but figured I would let you know before you got alot of bad rep.

Jfever: which direction are you having problems? connecting mac to pc, or pc to mac, or both?

do you have any firewalls or any other form of security on either computer?

from the mac go to go>connect to server they type afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (x=ip address for your windows computer)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
lol exactly...

matt- you give that same response whenever somebody says MAC, and its really not helping people with their problem, I am sorry for pointing that out, but figured I would let you know before you got alot of bad rep.

Jfever: which direction are you having problems? connecting mac to pc, or pc to mac, or both?

do you have any firewalls or any other form of security on either computer?

from the mac go to go>connect to server they type afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (x=ip address for your windows computer)

This is only my second time doing that. but ill stop if its gonna make people mad? :black:

OP
J

JFever

yeah well I hate bothering people about stuff because I work with computers and know how it feels...

thanks for taking the time...

I tried what you said "afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" and that kept searching and searching and finally found nothing... (all the while I had a ping window open with a successfull ping to the xp machine)

to answer your question... both ways. From XP I can see something that looks like my "Mac" in the network neighborhood but when you click on it it says I don't have permission to log on. From my "Mac" I can't really see much. I can FTP successfully but that is one file at a time and I need to move a lot of files in different folders.

using smb://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx I get the following in the log...

mount_smbfs: negotiate phase failed: syserr = Software caused connection abort

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.