windows xp question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd
ok so i wanna run bootcamp on my macbook (just got the macbook today woooo) and i have a xp home edition cd that came with my hp laptop. can i use that to install windows? or do i need a original full install cd that costs like 3oo bucks which i think is lame by the way. but yea would my reinstall cd work like a xp cd w sp2?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
no you cant use the hp disk and xp home isnt even close to 300 its more like 100 or close to that.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
matt's right. xp editions for specific laptops or desktops are typically 'keyed' in some way to the hardware. even between similar desktops of different brands you can't normally wap/use windows os disks.

and yep, windows os is very expensive, uh, retail anyway.
maybe you can find a set used on ebay?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The retail full install of Home is $199 but I have seen it a lot cheeper. Also like was suggested, give Ebay a shot. Just be sure you are not getting some OEM but the real Retail XP Home SP2 full install.

Reaction score
The retail full install of Home is $199 but I have seen it a lot cheeper. Also like was suggested, give Ebay a shot. Just be sure you are not getting some OEM but the real Retail XP Home SP2 full install.

Is there a reason why you shouldn't use an OEM for installing windows xp for your mac? I saw an OEM full install with SP2 and was considering using that for my mac.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
as said above, most oem windows software is "keyed" to a particular model of machine. if you got something off of ebay (or wherever) that was made to run specifically on a compaq presario or sony vaio, it would most likely not work at all on anything else (not just a mac).

if you already have some oem disks, you could give them a shot, just don't buy anything!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.