MS wireless keyboard - ejecting cd drive question

J

jstraw97

I just successfully connected a Microsoft wireless 6000 keyboard and mouse to my Power Mac G4, however I am at a loss as to how to tell the keyboard to eject the dvd drive. The keyboard and mouse come with some excellent MS software for assigning keys, however I am completely baffled as to how to tell the specific key I'd like to use to eject the dvd drive to do this. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Why on earth did the folks at Mac make a thing like ejecting the dvd drive so difficult???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
you could always right click on the drive and click eject

OP
J

jstraw97

But what if there is no disc in the drive in the first place? What if I want to open the drive to place a disc in it?

I'm still a bit new to the Mac world (which I love!), so maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems that a button on the computer itself to eject the drive (like PC's have) would have easily solved this....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
hmm i see what you mean now well idk sorry :(

OP
J

jstraw97

I guess the basic question I have is this:

If you do not have a mac keyboard with the button for ejecting the disc drive on it connected, how do you eject the disc drive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have read that holding down the f12 key for a few seconds it should open

edit:

or perhaps not

the reason i said no is cause on my computer it just goes to the dashboard? i havent tried it for a disk yet

Reaction score
Yes...

The only way that I have been able to eject the CD tray with this keyboard (Microsoft 6000) on my Mac Pro is to open iTunes and then "Ctrl E" or under the Controls menu you can eject from there also.

Reaction score
re-assign dashboard to another function key

The F12 key will work provided you reassign the default function beforehand. The default function is to open the Dashboard. If you reassign the Dashboard to, say F8, and leave F12 with no assignment, it opens the dc/dvd drive.

To do this select System Preferences -> Keyboard and Mouse

scroll down to Keyboard Navigation (open the options if closed) and find Dashboard (its the last in this list). You'll see it is assigned to F12. Double click on the F12 text and press the F8 key (it will change to F8). Now close System Preferences. Press F12 and it should now open the CD / DVD drive.

I'm using a Keysonic ACK-540RRF keyboard with built-in trackpad on an old Quicksilver G4 I'm using as a media centre. It has a standard PC type laptop layoout, and this work around works fne with it. It should work with any non-Mac standard keyboard.

Reaction score
Eureka!

The reassignment of the F12 key as described above worked perfectly with my imac and an old Benq keyboard. Good advice, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.