How to set default applications?

Reaction score
The one feature of Windows that i still haven't gotten the hang of on mac, is how to change the default program for a file to open in. For example, I can be dealing with a lot of .wav files, and I want to "Preview" one, to see what it is. But, a lot of these aren't music, so I don't want them to be added to my iTunes library, and i would rather I be able to open them in Quicktime. I know I can just right-click these, go to "Open with" and select Quicktime, but I would rather have it so that when I double-click these, they open in it by default.

It's not only with sound files, but they were the best example. Is there any way of changing default applications for files to open in?

Reaction score
Pick a document of the file type (extension) you want to associate with a particular program.

Right-click->Get Info->Open With
choose the app
click Change All

ta-da

I'm not aware of any "master list" you can edit like in Windows. Instead, when you have a file that you want to open with a particular application, you tell that file ... and if you want, you can change all the other files with that extension in the process.

Like a lot of things in Mac OS X, it's different but makes a lot of sense. :)

Stay safe!

OP
S
Reaction score
I know this reply is a bit late (Forgot to check this topic, to be honest) but that's exactly what I was looking for! Never had any other way I did it on Windows, so this is perfect.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.