Can you do this in Tiger??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
A couple things I miss from Windows which were nice and helpful:

Seeing pics as thumbnails or slides in Finder. It's nice to be able to scan through my photos without opening iPhoto or other program. I know Finder can show a thumbnail if you highlight it, but I'd like to just see them all.

Autohide the menu bar. Not many poeple use this in Windows either, but Iliked having a more clean look and a little more screen realestate.

Apl+tab through minimized programs. I noticed that this function only works for programs on the desktop. If you minimize it, you can't bring it up again without going down to the dock and clicking on it, which forces me to leave everything up for easy access which gets my desktop very cluttered.

Also, I'm trying to install WMP 9 to view videos online. When I download it and try to open for installation, VLC opens and won't let me install WMP. Why is that?? How can I uninstall VLC?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac

Seeing pics as thumbnails or slides in Finder. It's nice to be able to scan through my photos without opening iPhoto or other program. I know Finder can show a thumbnail if you highlight it, but I'd like to just see them all.

Autohide the menu bar. Not many poeple use this in Windows either, but Iliked having a more clean look and a little more screen realestate.

Apl+tab through minimized programs. I noticed that this function only works for programs on the desktop. If you minimize it, you can't bring it up again without going down to the dock and clicking on it, which forces me to leave everything up for easy access which gets my desktop very cluttered.

Also, I'm trying to install WMP 9 to view videos online. When I download it and try to open for installation, VLC opens and won't let me install WMP. Why is that?? How can I uninstall VLC?

Chose view options in finder and select "show icon preview" I don't think this works in column view.

as for WMP 9, I didn't think that WMP was upgraded for mac.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Mac OS X does let you auto hide the dock, which I believe is what you are asking about. To do this, hold down all of Opt+Cmd+D. The dock slides out of view. When you want to see it again, move your mouse pointer to the bottom of the screen and the dock slides back into view. Move your mouse pointer away and it conveniently slides out of view again. If you want to return your dock to your desktop permanently, just hold down Opt+Cmd+d again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

Forget WMP, download Flip4Mac for your browser WMV viewing needs. It also adds the codec for Quictime to play most WMVs as well.

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X does let you auto hide the dock

Actually, I already got the dock to hide. I want to hide the menu at the top so the screen has a cleaner look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Actually, I already got the dock to hide. I want to hide the menu at the top so the screen has a cleaner look.

No, you cant. The Menu Bar at the top is not the equivalent of the MS task bar on windows (never has been) and is not intended to be hidden.

Well, actually that's not quite true. You could simply quit the finder and have an empty desktop until you switch an open App.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
If you want to get the menu bar to hide I recommend downloading Menu Shade where you can have the menu bar fade away, control fading speed, and control brightness settings. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cool App. To bad it's not a System Pref instead. It will do what he wants though, I think. Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 09, MBP 12, MBA 15

You need to enable Show icon previews in the Finders view options (Cmd+J) you have use icon view to see the results. You can also use the column view to view pics and video right in the finder. And lastly there is the slideshow option, control click (right click) after selecting the pics you want to view.

Try hiding apps not minimizing. Most times its Cmd+H. Then when using Cmd+Tab it will come back to life. Try Holding down the Cmd key while swtiching apps then hit the H, this lets you hide apps as you scroll through. Oh and try F10 and then the Tab key too.

Reaction score
You need to enable Show icon previews in the Finders view options (Cmd+J) you have use icon view to see the results.
Thanks for that. I've been a mac user a loooong time and never knew that. REP!!!!!
cool.gif

OP
fleurya
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you want to get the menu bar to hide I recommend downloading Menu Shade where you can have the menu bar fade away, control fading speed, and control brightness settings. Hope this helps.

Sounds like a great app, can't wait to try it. I didn't want menu to replace taskbar, Dock handles that quite well. Thanks for the commands, Ironmac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.