Disable the inbuilt webcam

How can I disable the inbuilt webcam on a Macbook Pro?

I have a USB webcam that I want to use, and the web app that I am using thinks that the built in webcam is the ONLY usb webcam installed. Don't know why, because I installed Logitech drivers for the USB webcam.

Also... I'm a complete beginner at this, but how can I see that my USB webcam is installed? In preferences I don't see anything about USB devices, or webcams or anything else.

Doug.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
How can I disable the inbuilt webcam on a Macbook Pro?

I have a USB webcam that I want to use, and the web app that I am using thinks that the built in webcam is the ONLY usb webcam installed. Don't know why, because I installed Logitech drivers for the USB webcam.

Also... I'm a complete beginner at this, but how can I see that my USB webcam is installed? In preferences I don't see anything about USB devices, or webcams or anything else.

Doug.
well technically, your built-in webcam wouldn't be a USB webcam, for it is built-in. :p

I recall finding some software around that allowed you to somewhat customise your webcam preferences - set one as a default for use with chat apps, or something like that. Have a search at versiontracker.com or macupdate.com for webcam software - you're likely to find it there.

As for preferences, they shouldn't appear in system preferences. Most likely, the preferences will appear in the application you're using. Yahoo messenger for example has preferences for video source (select camera) as well as quality. So this is where you should search for preferences for the camera. It may have come with it's own software too.

To see if it's installed, try a simple search for logitech on your HD. I generally use apple+f opposed to spotlight, as I like the results and control I have with the former. It should show you the location of items too.

Well, hope that helps.

Oh, one more thing, I had trouble with a logitech webcam. I was told it would work with macs, but I never got it to work properly, and caused many chat apps of mine to crash. Probably unrelated, but I'm just a little distrusting of the brand on macs right now, that's all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.