onyx questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
this is a very basic (noob) question but I want to ask any how.. So if this is a stupid question please excuse me..

I just downloaded Onyx. I did some very basic cleaning seeing as how half of the onyx options I dont understand.

Now for whatever reason, my computer is faster in every way.. loading apps, downloads, uploads and the internet is faster and I have no connection issues like I had before.. Why is this?

Thanks!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
afaik, it's just cache maintenance. smaller cache, faster apps.
works that way on windows too.

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
afaik, it's just cache maintenance. smaller cache, faster apps.
works that way on windows too.

alright.. but how did it fix my internet issues? how did it make my internet faster?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
your internet through what app?

even your wireless to some extent is an application, it has logs and cache as far as i know.

but more likely it has to do with whatever application you're using to access files on the interent (safari, a newsreader, etc).

OP
KoDorSean
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
your internet through what app?

even your wireless to some extent is an application, it has logs and cache as far as i know.

but more likely it has to do with whatever application you're using to access files on the interent (safari, a newsreader, etc).

I use safari.. I just dont see how an app like safari being cleaned up would clear up my internet issues.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
still not sure of what you're getting at. internet in what way?

what exactly is faster?

if it's pages loading faster in safari, or downloads going faster through safari, then that's it. if it's something else, please describe how your seeing a speed increase...

M

MacHeadCase

Well Safari does use cache too. The thing with cache is that I heard that if it isn't cleared and cleaned out once in a while, it can get huge, cluttered and the data in it can get corrupted. I posted this somewhere else but lock down Safari's Icons folder and that'll help the speed too as that folder can become HUGE if it isn't emptied once in a while.

Path to the Icons folder is: Macintosh HD ---> Users ---> Your user account ---> Library ---> Safari ---> Icons

How to lock the Icons folder. There are a few ways you can do that, all with the Get Info window. How to get to that Get Infowindow:
  • Click once on the Icons folder then right-click (or Control click) and choose Get Info from the dropdown menu.
  • Click once on the Icons folder and type Command (or Apple key) + i.
  • Click once on the Icons folder and go to the Finder's menubar and under File, click on Get Info.

In the Get Info window, you will find a Ownership & Permissions: section and you simply choose Read only in the dropdown menu at the right of You can. Safari's Icons folder should now be locked and won't store any favicons from now on. Just remember to empty this folder, now that it's locked, and drag the contents to the trash.

Another nifty kewl lil' utility I love is MainMenu. Does a lot of the same things as OnyX does but it sits nicely in the menubar.

*Phew* Sorry for the long post... :radioacti

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.