Macbook case cracking!

Reaction score
I've been keeping my Macbook in perfect condition, never dropped or abused. For some reason, my top case has been cracking out of the blue. I have three in fact. One is on the left hand side of the LCD hinge, one on the bottom right above the sleep light (a piece broke off today too) , and one in between the A and Z key...

Pics

P1010207.jpg

P1010208.jpg

P1010209.jpg

Plus there the trackpad bulges up a little, which seems to be fairly common on Macbooks with upgraded RAM.

Should I take it back to the Applestore when I get home for christmas vacation? It was a birthday gift for moving away to college, so I don't have the receipts if they were to ask for them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
Take it back. That is definitely not normal!

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Take it back. That is definitely not normal!

agree.

and mine travels with me in a messenger bag 3 to 4 times a week, and i haven't seen anything like that.

OP
Z
Reaction score
I've already had it for about three months now, and I've looked it up some. Apparently I'm not the only one =/. I dunno if they would fix it under warranty or if I would have to pay for it myself.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
even if you don't have applecare, it should be covered under the one year warranty. just give it a shot - those cracks are only going to get worse.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
those arent cracks, **** part of the case is missing!!! take her in, before its all gone :)

mine has been fairly good.

seems odd, what the heck did you do to your laptop? the will ask, and i will say..it looks like you tried to take it apart unsuccessfully.

OP
Z
Reaction score
Nope, I haven't done anything to it. It just started cracking on the bottom where the weight of my hand is. First it was a little hairline one, and then opened up, and a piece broke off.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
they should replace it for free lots of people had problems like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
this is the first case ive seen this bad. dont send it in anywhere. take it to the store, and demand they replace the top portion there.

they can, and will

OP
Z
Reaction score
Ok I'm definitely bringing it in to the store when I get back home.

Bringing it back isn't really an option for me, I've had it for a while so all my files, pictures, and my photography are on it. Its the only thing wrong with it, so if I can get this case fixed it'll be perfect.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
You don't need the receipt - for a start, they have the serial number on the system with the sale/registration date, but also because macbooks haven't been sold for a year yet so it can't possibly be out of its first year warranty!

It takes about 10 minutes to change the keyboard - I've never seen one do this, but they'll definitely fix it for you.

Reaction score
um hey i cant add much to what anyone else has said because what they have said is true but what is bothering me is why did you take the picture in the bathroom with the toilet visible???? hmmmmmm good point toilets have such good light but yeah man those cracks are gnarly and yeah fight for a new one if you can becuase those sort of cracks is unacceptable from apple :D

OP
Z
Reaction score
Because I only have a little lamp in my room so I couldn't get enough light to see the cracks.

Reaction score
Same Here

I have this problem also, but only where my hands rest. My cracking is worse, and about four or five inches have cracked off so far. I'd like to know what Apple does for you. I hate the hassle of returning computers. All that resetting and reloading.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.