airport card alternative?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 mhz iBook G4- 12"
looking to go wireless/wi-fi...do i have a choice as to what card i buy? Does it have to be "Apple Airport Card", or is there a clone/copy? do i want 11b or 11g? what's the difference.

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Just got back from vacation so haven't posted in a while.

You don't have to use the Airport card although it is recommended.

dlink.com/products/?pid=175 (dead link removed)

They have a USB wifi card. Apple is the only company that has an internal wifi card so that nothing is sticking out for apples as of now to my knowledge.

Whether to choose B or G depends on what router you will be using.

G has speeds of 54 mbps at a range of 50 ft and than it goes to the 11mbps for 100 ft range

B has 11 mbps for the whole 150 ft range.

So unless you will be close to the access point or router G is not too important

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
800 mhz iBook G4- 12"
trpnmonkey41 said:
Just got back from vacation so haven't posted in a while.

You don't have to use the Airport card although it is recommended.

dlink.com/products/?pid=175 (dead link removed)

Thanks for the help...if i go with something like this dlink...will it be considerably slower than the airport card, or are we looking at something about the same?

the price is surely better with the dlink.

A

andyeb

Personally, I'd go for the internal card any day. There are a number of wi-fi hot spots springing up in cafes and shops - having something plugged into the USB port seriously reduces the posing factor... oops I mean makes it seriously less convenient ;)

Andy

L

lsuperguy

andyeb said:
Personally, I'd go for the internal card any day. There are a number of wi-fi hot spots springing up in cafes and shops - having something plugged into the USB port seriously reduces the posing factor... oops I mean makes it seriously less convenient ;)

Andy

I agree with the "posing factor" plus you get great signal from the antenna in the lid of the ibook or TiBook rather than the little antenna the dongle has on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.