Can I use a pcmcia broadband card in a macbook?

Reaction score
I just bought a macbook and am wondering if there is an adapter to connect a EVDO like broadband card to it. THX

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
not as far as i know.

what's the result you're going for? is there a usb piece that will do the same job (like wireless pcmcia cards could be replaced by wireless usb dongles)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook AL G4 15", MacBook Pro 15", Dual G4 1.25, Wallstreet 292, Cube DualG4 1.4
We've tested every available adapter out there, and have only found one to work, but only with an older/obsolete aircard. For the most part, the USB->PCMCIA adapters are worthless.

Why not just use an EVDO USB Modem? we've sold and supported hundreds of Sprint's Novatel U720 to Mac users, even though Sprint does not make them Mac-compatible.

We are also taking backorders on Verizon's new Rev-A USB720 which will work with any Mac running OSX 10.3.9 and above, and has an available USB port.

Reaction score
Are you guys saying that PC cards don't work in a Mac?

What if you want to use a BroadBand service, like Sprint, Verizon or Cingular's 3G? How do you do this on a Mac without a PC card?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

What if you want to use a BroadBand service, like Sprint, Verizon or Cingular's 3G? How do you do this on a Mac without a PC card?

That is correct. It doesn't even have a slot. Though apparently there are USB adapters that might work, I don't know. It appears that USB has improved to the point that nearly everything is coming out in USB form.

Personally, I like that since I always would forget one card or another when going out on the road. The fewer external bits hanging out of my Mac (when I'm at my desk it's a different story) the better.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

The Macbook Pro has an ExpressCard slot (the next generation of PC card). If I'm not mistaken, some of the cellular-based Broadband cards also come in ExpressCard variations.

The Macbooks do not have any PC Card or ExpressCard slots, USB adapters are the only option if you want to use a cellular-based wireless card.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.