• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

one of the coolest things i've ever seen (batteries)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
usbcell

this is pretty darn clever < much cleaner than the language i used when i found it, for sure

i want some. i really do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
Its a really clever idea. I wonder why I didn't come up with that idea first. ;)

OP
eric

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
yeah, like sliced bread.
icon12.gif

one of the only drawbacks really seems to be the low amperage. so using on high draw items like digital cameras might be futile.
but for remotes (including my ps2 wireless controllers), or some toys my kid loves that i'm continuously buying batteries or recharging batteries for, this might be just the ticket. oh, and they are a bit spendy, but they'll most certainly come down as they gain popularity. i may just have to get a set just to freak people out.

Jem

Reaction score
I'd seen this one a couple of weeks back, it certainly looks interesting but there are drawbacks...

As eric says, low capacity - a decent NiMH AA cell is around 2800mAh, these are only 1300mAh.

Secondly, verrrrrry slow charge - 5 hours to achieve half the power of a "normal" rechargeable?

Thirdly, lack of USB ports! I already have a 4 way hub AND a 7 way hub hanging off the back of my iMac and they're both fully populated!

Fourthly, a battery charger isn't exactly costly (cheaper than some USB hubs!) is much, much faster and will charge several batteries at a time.

Fifth, look at the cost :eek: :eek: High-street stores are still ripping people off (at least in the UK) for standard rechargeable batteries, I always end up buying from 7dayshop.com as their rates make sense... these cost 6.50GBP each as opposed to, say, Panasonic 2600mAh for 1.87GBP each from 7dayshop. The difference on 2 batteries would buy a cheapy charger!

Nice idea, can't see it working as a large-scale commercial proposition, although the niche market of wireless mice / keyboards / games controllers may find it handy...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Well, it's just a novel idea that needs some selling to gain popularity and bring down cost. If the company really wants to make sale, they'll have to think of a way to boost power and usage time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.