Photoshop CS3 beta

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
it's insanely fast. I downloaded it tonight and its crazy fast. Ill have to reinstall it in two days because for some reason Adobe wont accept my CS2 education serial, so I cant get the cs3 beta serial. Hopefully ill get that worked out, but its crazy fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
how do you get it.. what are the rules... does it run out (ie.. do you get to keep it forever)

OP
PunkRockTuba
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=labs_photoshop

it will run out once CS3 is actually released. You have to have a CS3 beta serial number and to get that you need a valid Photoshop CS2, Creative Suite 2, Production Studio, Adobe Web Bundle, or Adobe Video Bundle serial number. There is a link on the download page and it takes you to the place to enter your serial and it will generate a CS3 one for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Sweet.

I can't get on with Adobe's new corporate design for their apps though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Oh, that's music to my ears! The only downer on getting my Mac is how slooooooow CS2 runs - I mean REALLY slow! You probably get better performance than me PunkRockTuba as I only have a gig of RAM.

Do you know how it would compare to CS3 on XP?

OP
PunkRockTuba
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont know how it would compare, I need to download CS3 version for XP but it should be pretty fast. CS2 on XP is pretty fast, so if they can improve on that, then im really impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
Post the results when you've tried it!

M

MacHeadCase

Yep, I'd be interested in reading a review too. Although most of you guys are running on Intel-based Macs, right? I can imagine it goes faster for you instead of jumping through loops in Rosetta.

Please keep in mind to put in your review the added features, thinking of us older Mac users (PowerPC chips). I have a 2.1GHz G5 iMac and CS2 is pretty good speed-wise so if ever I buy the suite, it wouldn't be because of the faster performance but for the added features, if they are worth it or if there only Adobe pazzazz...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
The new Bridge looks a lot like Lightroom beta, the new Camera Raw 4.0 beta also looks very familiar to the lightroom interface with the same functionality.

The smartsharpen seems to have been updated looking at it with a quick little run, have only played with one photo to get an idea of the new setup. I will be interested in people running this on one of the universal Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I am downloading it now, and will report on its relative speed on a PowerMac G5 once I get it installed and can run some comparisons with my current Photoshop CS2. I will be very interested to see if it runs subjectively faster on a PPC chip. Certainly I hope that they have sped up Bridge, which takes something like 11 or 12 "bouncemarks" to launch on my PowerMac. Glacial!

M

MacHeadCase

I am downloading it now, and will report on its relative speed on a PowerMac G5 once I get it installed and can run some comparisons with my current Photoshop CS2. I will be very interested to see if it runs subjectively faster on a PPC chip. Certainly I hope that they have sped up Bridge, which takes something like 11 or 12 "bouncemarks" to launch on my PowerMac. Glacial!

Most excellent! I am very interested on hearing how the app runs on a Mac equipped with a PowerPC chip. Most reviews I have seen so far only talk about how it works on an Intel-based Mac: as I own an iMac 2.1GHz G5 these reviews don't help me much in understanding how it will perform on my iMac if I decide to buy CS3.

Please post your findings, mac57! And give your opinion on what you think CS3 is worth i.e. is it just bloatware or are the new features really worth it for a PowerPC user like us. Thanks a bunch! :girl:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Sweet.

I can't get on with Adobe's new corporate design for their apps though.

I completely agree. As a graphic artist, I feel the image of the app (this one at least, haven't seen other recent Adobe apps yet) is a little lost, and doesn't portray the whole 'endless possibilities' theme which was present in PS 5.5 (earliest I used) through CS2. It was all about the graphics. Now it seems to be about how important the company looks - as you said, corporate. Launching it, it seems like a tool for accountants more than those involved in graphics.

Having said that, I'm quite impressed with the windows and new features I've been able to check out so far. I only use ps7 right now, so the live histogram in this is a big bonus. The toolbar is nicer, and not as invasive. And I really like the fadeout effect when you switch apps - very smooth. Hard to describe, but it really reminds me that I'm using a mac, where things look nice.

I'll keep exploring it though, see what I can uncover. I'm only using the 30 day trial at the moment. I'll have to see how the final build does before I decide to keep it on my HD. The space used for the app is around twice as much as ps7, so I think I'd only keep it if I'll be upgrading in time. Since people are saying it's much faster, I think it's certainly possible that I will. Just need to set aside a hefty amount of money :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
some one cracked it already... thats kinda sad... people cant pay for anything anymore..

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I suppose it was inevitable that someone would crack it. However these are the same people that will expect to see software being constantly updated. They must wonder where the money comes from to develop this software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Whats funny about the people who dont want to pay for it is they do not think of themselves as criminals...I wonder if they do actually work for a living how they would feel if their client or employer decided not to pay them for a week or two of their services.

Same thing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I can see why people would rather use the cracked version though. £1000 for Creative Suite is a fortune.

I remember when Amiga apps cost £80. Remember Deluxe Paint?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.