How do I hook my MacbookPro up to net via Ethernet?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
I plugged it into the port on the right, now what? I have wireless in the house, but I want to see if this will download faster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
what??? if you hook an ethernet cabe up to your macbook you have wired internet only on you computer. you need a wireless router.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a cable connection is theoretically faster.

all you should need to do is hook one end to the ethernet port on your mac, and the other in a free port on your router/wireless access point.

to make sure you're using the wired connection turn airport off on your mac.

to test which is faster, you can try this site...

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM, 160GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm, SuperDrive 6x
K thanks. Downloads via wireless don't seem to be going that fast.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
make sure you're getting strong signal with the wireless if it seems slow.

try moving the router around, adjusting the antennae if it has any. these sorts of variations can help or hurt the strength of the signal you're getting (and thus the potential dl speed).

also, you can try changing the wireless channel within the router. this can affect signal strength as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right now my router is set to channel 11 (had to in order for the Wii to work online). Is there a recommended channel ?

I don't mind plugging it in if it goes faster when I want to download stuff.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.