yet another external HDD question

A

apm

Hi all,

Just found the forum, hope someone can help me with what is probably a really stupid question.

I've just taken delivery of an 80gb external HDD. It works fine when plugged into the PC laptop (running XP), but when I plug it into my mac (G3 imac 600 running OSX 10.2.8), it comes up as unreadable. It's formatted NTFS, so I'm wondering why the mac won't see it.

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
The reason is that it is formatted to NTFS. OS X 10.2.x can have trouble with this.

Format it to FAT32 to allow OS X to read and write to this drive.

OP
A

apm

Thanks Zoolook- that makes alot of sense.

Just one small thing- my pc doesn't have an option to format in FAT32, only NTFS. Any ideas how I do this? I do have an old pc laptop running w98, if that would do the job.

Thanks again,

Alex.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
you can format it on he mac too.
applications/utilities
use the disk utility app.
you will have the option to format as fat32.

not sure why the xp machine won't do it. i'd bet the old 98 machine would though.

OP
A

apm

Well, I've managed to get the mac to see the drive, and all is functioning well. Woo hoo! Formatted as MS-Dos.

BUT the laptop won't see it now. It's strange- it shows up in the device manager, and is apparently operating properly. Just isn't visible in the drive list.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.