• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Thinking of getting a Macbook

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I currently have a powerbook G4 1.5ghz, 1.25meg, 80HDD and im thinking of selling it to get a macbook. The macbook does seem more powerful but is the switch really worthed. I also noticed that the video card of the macbook is shared with the main memory, but will i see any difference in preformance?
The macbook is one of the new ones Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 ghz with 1gig ram.
And is there any known issues with the macbook?

Oh ya one more thing how much do you think my laptop is worth if i do sell it?

Thanks in advance

Peace

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Core 2 Duo, 2.0 GHz, 120 GB, 2 GB RAM, Superdrive
In response to the video card question, it will make a difference depending on what you do. Basic usage will not be affected (internet, email, iWork, even iLife), but any 3D gaming and stuff like Photoshop (even when they update it for the Intel chips) will take a hit. What will you be using your MacBook for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
In response to the video card question, it will make a difference depending on what you do. Basic usage will not be affected (internet, email, iWork, even iLife), but any 3D gaming and stuff like Photoshop (even when they update it for the Intel chips) will take a hit. What will you be using your MacBook for?

Gaming yes, but photoshop? Does Photoshop use OpenGL?

Also, for video playback, the Intel chip is actually pretty good.

OP
T
Reaction score
I will not be using it for gaming, im a console gamer. mainly for email, browsing, video playback, recording music.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i don't see any sort of poor performance with graphics intensive programs.

as has been said, you pretty much can't game on it. mostly. but that seems as though it's not a problem for you.

for what you need it for, a macbook would be fine.

many of the bugs seem to have been worked out, and if you do have an issue, it seems apple is very responsive to repair or replace a unit.
as for my macbook (purchased a couple months prior to the release of the core 2 duo macbooks) i've had no issues at all, and i really dig it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I still don't see any reason to sell your current notebook. Seems like everything is working for you without any issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.